Tiffany Wins $12M in Case Against Counterfeit Sellers

Trade news

Moderators: PinkDiamond, John

PinkDiamond

Post by PinkDiamond »

It's only right that they won the case, but they're just one company, and there are so many counterfeits of every kind being sold on the market that something other than lawsuits needs to be implemented to solve this problem on a much larger scale. I just have no idea what. :?

By Lenore Fedow
lenore.fedow@nationaljeweler.com
July 6, 2020

The Tiffany & Co. flagship store in Sydney. The jeweler was recently granted a $12 million default judgment in a trademark infringement case.

"New York—A federal judge granted Tiffany & Co. a $12 million default judgment in a trademark infringement case against the operators of multiple websites said to be selling counterfeit items.

In a ruling handed down June 24, U.S. District Judge Rodney Smith of the Florida Southern District Court in Miami ordered the 12 defendants to pay $1 million each and give control of the websites over to Tiffany.

The jeweler filed the suit in December 2019, claiming sites with names like “tiffanyandco.net” and “tiffanyand.cn” were trying to imitate its website and mislead consumers.

Other sites, Tiffany said, redirected traffic from Google and other search engines away from the company’s official website, Tiffany.com, to their websites instead.

The defendants’ domain names (the name that identifies a website, like “Google.com”) were registered in multiple countries by “individuals, partnerships and/or business entities of unknown makeup,” said to be operating in foreign countries, including China.

Tiffany said in court documents that it “suffers ongoing daily and sustained violations of its trademark rights at the hands of counterfeiters and infringers.”

A screenshot of one of the websites said to be selling “replica” and “knockoff” Tiffany sunglasses, as shared in court documents

The jeweler said it spends a “significant” amount of money to enforce its trademarks and to “protect both consumers and itself from the ill effects of confusion and the erosion of the goodwill associated with the Tiffany brand.”

The court documents filed in the December 2019 case included hundreds of web page screenshots advertising “replica” and “knockoff” Tiffany sunglasses as well as “wholesale” Tiffany jewelry.

The websites also listed luxury goods said to be from ... "

https://www.nationaljeweler.com/majors/ ... it-sellers
PinkDiamond
ISG Registered Gemologist

· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ ..·´ There are miracles left for you to do .... -:¦:- -:¦:-
-:¦:- ((¸¸.·´* It all begins inside of you. ;)
SwordfishMining

Re: Tiffany Wins $12M in Case Against Counterfeit Sellers

Post by SwordfishMining »

That's the crux of the biscuit as Frank Zappa says. I have ONE detractor lying about me online to steal honestly built up good will, not hundreds. It really cuts into the bottom line to have to constantly defend yourself from a slanderer who does not care if they ruin the entire market in a lust for revenge. I would give you link to the page or copy the verbiage, but he has a nasty habit of declaring every fact as hate speech and copyright infringement. Just type in Virgin Valley Opal claims on Facebook, Google, Mindat (he does spam anywhere & link to anybody to manipulate the search AI of the web- he declares none of the links agreed to be shared there or are connected to him by choice) or Instagram & you will see who i'm blaming for publicly falsely extending the lie no Virgin Valley Opal can be cut or be valuable. Yet he claims to be a licensed appraiser and buys collections. WOW!
I'll jump over my shadow. https://www.virginvalleyopal.com"
Opals & more at my ESTY store https://swordfishmining.etsy.com"