Sintered Wheels

Anything goes!

Moderators: PinkDiamond, John

Pulitzeropal

Sintered Wheels

Post by Pulitzeropal »

My 600 (8") wheel has a defect and I need to replace it. I figured that I would just get a new set, for consistency. The brand is Inland Lapidary and when I bought them, they were about $800 each. Prices have come down considerably. (China has probably entered the market?)

Does anybody have any recommendations? I would greatly appreciate it.

OH ... and while I'm on the subject, the last time that I took my metal wheels off ....... I pounded them with a rubber hammer for hours. Does anybody know a way to help get them off of the machine (more easily)??

Sorry that I haven't been around very much. Thanks in advance!
Don Pulitzer
PinkDiamond

Re: Sintered Wheels

Post by PinkDiamond »

I can't offer any advice since I have a flat lap, but it's good to see you pop in and to know you're alright, Don. Hopefully someone whose lap has wheels will have a solution for you because that sounds like an awful lot of work and a big waste of time, so surely there must be some trick to it. Hope you can make it by more often. :)
PinkDiamond
ISG Registered Gemologist

· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ ..·´ There are miracles left for you to do .... -:¦:- -:¦:-
-:¦:- ((¸¸.·´* It all begins inside of you. ;)
SwordfishMining

Post by SwordfishMining »

Howdy Don. Well, when I bought this last used Diamond Pacific Genie from the community college the wheels had cracks & were contaminated by it. I had heard good things about Johnson Brothers supply company & saw their prices at out show, so I mailed them off & had them refinished. They came back promptly, Im not in a hurry or I could have bought new ones from them for less than I could replace them with OEM from Diamond Pacific who at times has "blems" for sale from their product lines at a discount. Not that they last long at the show. Both also vend at the Quartzsite shows.
There were instructions on how to resurface them yourself with diamond powder & epoxy online, but i have a space problem larger than my time allocation one.
Getting them off I cant say. Mine always slid off Diamond Pacific arbors. Gear puller? Put a little moly (Never seize) on the shaft when reassembling? In a machine we would use heat to expand the size of the outside piece. A small propane torch?
China is in the market, but supply lines are more expensive & slower now. If I was a worrying man I would have been stocking up supplies like i did silver wire. Especially if it was essential to my daily operations. HAVE spares.
Well, as much as i could after i bought a bunch of AMC & GME stocks to ride this squeeze for a new house.......
I'm impulsive if you didnt know.
I'll jump over my shadow. https://www.virginvalleyopal.com"
Opals & more at my ESTY store https://swordfishmining.etsy.com"
skywalker753

Post by skywalker753 »

Only experience I have close is rusted and seized bolts on my farm/farm equipment. I've had success using two doses of penetrating oil, and a rubber hammer to get it started. I'm talking fractions of a mm movement. Then more pressure. The rubber hammer to get just a slight shock movement is only if I'm concerned about bending another part. Truthfully, I tend to want to get a bigger hammer right away...lol...
Probably the lubricant and heat method is more common, but if any warping is a question then lube and cold spray may work. Just my thoughts.

I don't know through experience brands or prices on 600 8 inch sintered wheels. Lapidary Mart, covington is at about 475 I believe (just a quick web check).
Good Luck, and Good Success to you.
SwordfishMining

I just realized I answered for soft wheels. I remember my friends once were not impressed with the faster cutting the hexagonal patterned ones were. That was decades ago. I've never had to replace a sintered wheel. It was AN OPAL MACHINE or she'd get mad seeing jaspers & agates done. That was a pixie tho. Johnson Bros were good prices for most everything I ever checked on. Ive always wanted a Bull wheel to do faster, bigger, better roughing. I do have a pair of Richardsons style standing sanders for doing thunder eggs & flats.
Pulitzeropal

Post by Pulitzeropal »

PinkDiamond wrote:I can't offer any advice since I have a flat lap, but it's good to see you pop in and to know you're alright, Don. Hopefully someone whose lap has wheels will have a solution for you because that sounds like an awful lot of work and a big waste of time, so surely there must be some trick to it. Hope you can make it by more often. :)

Thanks, PD! I need to get here more often! This is one place that I KNOW that I'm surrounded by REAL opal people. The comments on YouTube ... I know some of them (actually, quite a few), but it's hard to know how much they know about opal. Not a problem, but it's nice to know who is who.
Baltic Abrasives sent me three new sintered wheels and they are pretty nice. Oddly, when I changed the wheels (I did a fast=motion version in a recent video), I HAD NO Difficulty removing the wheels. I had avoided touching them because of my bad experience last time. Maybe it was the WD-40? (But I've used WD40 for a very long time; I had to have tried it that first time)

BTW, when OA people leave comments on my videos on YouTube, I'd like to know that you are OA. I know several, but...
Thanks for all that you do for OA, PD. It's a tough job and you're great at it!
Best wishes,
Don
Pulitzeropal

Post by Pulitzeropal »

SwordfishMining wrote:Howdy Don. Well, when I bought this last used Diamond Pacific Genie from the community college the wheels had cracks & were contaminated by it. I had heard good things about Johnson Brothers supply company & saw their prices at out show, so I mailed them off & had them refinished. They came back promptly, Im not in a hurry or I could have bought new ones from them for less than I could replace them with OEM from Diamond Pacific who at times has "blems" for sale from their product lines at a discount. Not that they last long at the show. Both also vend at the Quartzsite shows.
There were instructions on how to resurface them yourself with diamond powder & epoxy online, but i have a space problem larger than my time allocation one.
Getting them off I cant say. Mine always slid off Diamond Pacific arbors. Gear puller? Put a little moly (Never seize) on the shaft when reassembling? In a machine we would use heat to expand the size of the outside piece. A small propane torch?
China is in the market, but supply lines are more expensive & slower now. If I was a worrying man I would have been stocking up supplies like i did silver wire. Especially if it was essential to my daily operations. HAVE spares.
Well, as much as i could after i bought a bunch of AMC & GME stocks to ride this squeeze for a new house.......
I'm impulsive if you didnt know.

Thanks for the info, though! I do have Nova wheels and I am always buying new ones. I'm kind of afraid to a different (cheaper) brand (MUCH LESS MY OWN "resufaced" ones) because I don't want to change my work procedure. I bet that I can get some from Baltic Abrasive to "try." They make some that sound identical to Novas (and are just about as expensive!). As I told PinkD, I was able to get the wheels off easily this time. Don
Pulitzeropal

Post by Pulitzeropal »

skywalker753 wrote:Only experience I have close is rusted and seized bolts on my farm/farm equipment. I've had success using two doses of penetrating oil, and a rubber hammer to get it started. I'm talking fractions of a mm movement. Then more pressure. The rubber hammer to get just a slight shock movement is only if I'm concerned about bending another part. Truthfully, I tend to want to get a bigger hammer right away...lol...
Probably the lubricant and heat method is more common, but if any warping is a question then lube and cold spray may work. Just my thoughts.

I don't know through experience brands or prices on 600 8 inch sintered wheels. Lapidary Mart, covington is at about 475 I believe (just a quick web check).
Good Luck, and Good Success to you.

I actually used WD-40 and they came off easily. I didn't even have to threaten them with the rubber hammer. I bought a new rubber hammer after my last wheel removal ...... my aluminum handle one BENT from that episode! It may have been the WD-40, but now that I think about it, while I was cleaning up the scale left on the axle last time, I did several passes with fine steel wool. Maybe I reduced the diameter of the axle just a tiny bit? Possibly. Sorry for the late reply, but ..dp
PinkDiamond

Post by PinkDiamond »

I'm delighted to hear the wheels came off easily this time. If the WD-40 ever fails you, try Superzilla. It's a penetrating oil that travels up threads and gets into places you need freed up. The ads even show it blasting off graffiti paint on a stone wall, and it removes rust, so if it's even half as impressive as it appears to be it ought to be a great product.

And thanks so much for the compliment. I really appreciate the nod because I enjoy the forum so much that if I have to miss a day due to technical issues, I'm calling poor John frantically; not that he can do anything to help but at least he lets me vent to him. :lol:

Hope to see some of your opals, and don't forget that you can embed YT videos here on the Board, which we always appreciate. :)
PinkDiamond
ISG Registered Gemologist

· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ ..·´ There are miracles left for you to do .... -:¦:- -:¦:-
-:¦:- ((¸¸.·´* It all begins inside of you. ;)
SwordfishMining

As far as rust penetrating goes; when we were dissembling the Gold mills to make a molybdenum mill plant out of them at the Ashdown Mine, we bought PB50 Rust Buster by the case. Since they gave me organizing and stocking a parts canister warehouse, besides electrician job, I can't remember how many boxes of bolts i bought for the construction. Bigger wrenches seem to help a lot.