July 4th, Happy Independence Day!!!

Anything goes!

Moderators: PinkDiamond, John

PinkDiamond

July 4th, Happy Independence Day!!!

Post by PinkDiamond »

Happy Independence Day!!!

I want to wish you all a very Happy 4th of July this Independence Day! I've been reading Independence Day articles, and found Israel365's to be the best one so I'm posting it here for you.

On this day in 1776, the Continental Congress approved the Declaration of Independence, setting the 13 colonies on the road to freedom as a sovereign nation, and thus bringing into fruition the country that we now call the United States.The effect that American independence has had upon global politics is undeniable. But what gives the Fourth of July its significance in today’s day and age, and especially for Americans living abroad in a different country? Are we just celebrating the fact that the Declaration of Independence was adopted by the Continental Congress in 1776, or is there something more that Americans can get out of the day, both those at home and abroad?

In 1776 in Philadelphia, when the signatories of the declaration penned their names in ink to the document composed by Thomas Jefferson, they knew that this declaration of independence from the dictatorial rule of Great Britain might also be — literally — their death sentence. They knew full well that the wrath and might of the British army would be sailing across the Atlantic to descend on the relatively defenseless colonies. They knew their scattered "states" didn’t have the numbers or arms or training to stand against the British, much less defeat them militarily. Yet they put their signatures, and their lives, their families, their destiny, on that parchment.

And so, against all odds, and even against reason, that Declaration told the world that "these United Colonies are, and of right ought to be, free and independent states." They wanted to be free, to make their own decisions, to govern themselves and breathe the sweet air of liberty. And yes, they were the underdog that rose to victory, that has since hounded all ‘American’ stories including Hollywood and Broadway until today. That’s what this day is meant to be about.

As Pat Boone in Newsmax points out John Adams, himself a signer of the Declaration, thought that Americans should henceforth celebrate a "great anniversary festival." In a letter to his wife Abigail Adams writes; "It ought to be commemorated as the day of deliverance, by solemn acts of devotion to God Almighty. It ought to be solemnized with pomp and parade, with shows, games, sports, guns, bells, bonfires, and illuminations, from one end of this continent to the other, from this time forward forevermore."

While Adams had a great vision, he was somewhat shortsighted, in that the celebration has traversed oceans as well. This day is surely a time for all of us who really cherish that original dream, the one for which so many have died, to individually and collectively re-declare our independence from tyranny, despotism, taxation without representation, senseless hatred, and the overriding of the freedoms of all individuals, in the name of the King or State. The holiday celebrates the bravery of individuals willing to put everything on the line for the right to live their lives as free people.

Happy Independence Day y'all!!!

PinkDiamond
ISG Registered Gemologist

· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ ..·´ There are miracles left for you to do .... -:¦:- -:¦:-
-:¦:- ((¸¸.·´* It all begins inside of you. ;)
SwordfishMining

Re: July 4th, Happy Independence Day!!!

Post by SwordfishMining »

God Bless America. Happy 4th. Ill watch real fireworks later after setting off our small stuff.
I'll jump over my shadow. https://www.virginvalleyopal.com"
Opals & more at my ESTY store https://swordfishmining.etsy.com"
PinkDiamond

Post by PinkDiamond »

4th.png
PinkDiamond
ISG Registered Gemologist

· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ ..·´ There are miracles left for you to do .... -:¦:- -:¦:-
-:¦:- ((¸¸.·´* It all begins inside of you. ;)
SwordfishMining

Post by SwordfishMining »

I'm glad I dropped 100 bucks on my local mfr seller. My bag of tricks was the show last night. Not any youngsters there so us adults got off easy. We did let the evil spirits know they should flee the area. The smell of powder is the smell of freedom ( to burn money LOL).
I'll jump over my shadow. https://www.virginvalleyopal.com"
Opals & more at my ESTY store https://swordfishmining.etsy.com"