Merry Christmas to me!!!

Anything goes!

Moderators: PinkDiamond, John

PinkDiamond

Merry Christmas to me!!!

Post by PinkDiamond »

Christmas is about a week away, and Steve finally asked me what I want for Christmas. I have wanted a Pallasite for years, and always drool on the cases at Steve The Meteorite Man's store in Eureka Springs, but never found one as unique as this one that I had been drooling over for probably 15 minutes when Steve asked what I wanted, so I just had to give it a try, and lo and behold, he said yes!!! You could've knocked me over with a feather! :shock:

Brad Payne, The Gem Trader, had just offered up a really unique one on his website, and amazingly enough, this time it was still available. I told him this one must have had my name on it, and I can't wait to show The Meteorite Man next time I'm in his store. This one will blow his away. :lol:

0.21 ct. Pallasite Meteorite Peridot with Iridescent Flash
Color: Medium Yellowish-Green
Clarity: Eye Clean
Origin: Jepara Meteorite, Indonesia
Cut: Round Brilliant
Treatments: None
Measurements: 3.8 mm

What a great gem. Stony-iron meteorites (pallasites) are sometimes peppered with pockets of the mineral Olivine - the species that gives us gem Peridot here on earth. You may have seen that these are sometimes sliced and backlight to dramatic effect for display. As you may suspect, the olivine crystals have endured an incredible strain, from their origin in space to the enormous heat and pressure of their fall the earth. Only on exceptional occasions are there any intact, unfractured gemmy areas that can actually be faceted.

So having established the rarity of faceted pallasite Olivine, let us talk about the Jepara meteorite and its special qualities. Found in 2008 as a single, 500 kg piece, this pallasite had some of the best preserved Olivine crystals ever found - capable of producing gems that were much larger than the norm - in some cases upwards of 2 carats. What is even more, a very few Jepara stones have a strange and fascinating feature - a series of small acicular inclusions that are capable of an exceptional iridescent flash. The percentage of these that have enough needles - and in the correct orientation - is infinitesimal; maybe a 1/2 dozen stones have been seen. Take a look at the photos and you can simply cannot help but be impressed. It is a very dramatic, and quite celestial, phenomenon. At the risk of being overly dramatic, it is somewhat reminiscent of time-lapse star trail photography.

Simply an outstanding piece with one of the very rarest phenomena observable in a gem material. The stone is otherwise flawless and is nicely cut and bright. A lab cert stating the gem is pallasite Olivine accompanies the piece. A special stone.
http://www.thegemtrader.com/Dec15PPeridotPage.htm

I finally own a Pallasite version of my birthstone; it's extraterrestrial cousin, rarer than diamonds, or tanzanite, or just about anything else on earth. Woohoo!! :!:
SantaGrinningClapping.gif
SantaGrinningClapping.gif (1.39 KiB) Viewed 567 times
PinkDiamond
ISG Registered Gemologist

· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ ..·´ There are miracles left for you to do .... -:¦:- -:¦:-
-:¦:- ((¸¸.·´* It all begins inside of you. ;)
OpalSpectrum

Re: Merry Christmas to me!!!

Post by OpalSpectrum »

Wow that's awesome Pink
I didn't even knew about this name/type (I know olivine/peridot) ... now I want 1 too :p

>>> Firmitas Utilitas Venustas <<<
KKHK

Post by KKHK »

Congratulations, truly one of very few. :)
crazy8s

Post by crazy8s »

Congrats, Pink it is a spectacular stone :!: :mrgreen:
SwordfishMining

Post by SwordfishMining »

Leave it to you to find a flash in a Peridot. What an outstanding unusual stone. One of the nice things of being in this business is seeing things others have found. We'll have to see what Az is feeding frenzy on this year in a month.
I'll jump over my shadow. https://www.virginvalleyopal.com"
Opals & more at my ESTY store https://swordfishmining.etsy.com"
Lydia

Post by Lydia »

That's spectacular Pink. Congratulations and Merry Christmas!
jim

Post by jim »

Uh Pink...It just happens that my birthstone is peridot. I sure like that one.
PinkDiamond

Post by PinkDiamond »

Thanks so much y'all. I'm still in shock that Steve said yes, but the stone should be here this week so I'm ecstatic. :mrgreen:

So you're a Virgo too jim? I'll have to have the goose guard the stone if you ever come visit. :lol:

Merry Christmas to all, and Happy Hanukkah, Happy Kwanza, or whatever you celebrate! :D
PinkDiamond

PinkDiamond

Post by PinkDiamond »

My friend Brad Payne who sold me the Pallasite said the guy he got his from had one thousand of them, and only 8 had phenomena in them, but I think this one was the only one with this type of phenomena. :o I can hardly wait til it gets here! :mrgreen:
PinkDiamond

SwordfishMining

Post by SwordfishMining »

I'll always pay more for less of the rare one, instead of more for a bigger better common one. I cant wait to see more of the flash. Resembles that new Lattice sunstone that popped its head up for a second. See if I hear of any down south this year. Not like I shop for anything over selling opal off. Now others selling it seems to be the other way around, the mostest for the leastest but getting rid of allofits using the widest common denominator. KInda what hampered me all these years....damned opals are all differnt and not easily graded as specimens/cutting rough.
I'll jump over my shadow. https://www.virginvalleyopal.com"
Opals & more at my ESTY store https://swordfishmining.etsy.com"