Analytical Gemology and Jewelry Head Says GIA Is ‘Wrong’ to Grade Lab-Grown Diamonds the Same as Mined

Man-made stones

Moderators: PinkDiamond, John

PinkDiamond

Analytical Gemology and Jewelry Head Says GIA Is ‘Wrong’ to Grade Lab-Grown Diamonds the Same as Mined

Post by PinkDiamond »

I said the same thing initially, but people who buy lab-growns do want to know how their clones rate in comparison to natural diamonds, so I changed my mind on that, and said I was glad GIA is issuing certs that look nothing like the ones for their natural counterparts when we saw them. This guy from AGJ has some other reasons for his point of view, but I can't say that I agree with them. Your thoughts? :?:

Published 4 days ago on October 22, 2020
By INSTORE Staff

"(PRESS RELEASE) AG&J Analytical Gemology and Jewelry head Dusan Simic has launched a response to the decision of the GIA to grade laboratory-grown diamonds in what he calls a standardized fashion.

“It is also unfortunate that the GIA only made its decision regarding LGDs after the recent publication of the third edition of Laboratory Grown Diamonds Information guide to HPHT and CVD grown diamonds, by myself and Branko Deljanin,” Dusan commented.

“One of the main doubts and discussions that Branko and I had while writing the third edition of our book was precisely how LGD s would be graded in the future he commented. While Branko’s commitment is to grade them like natural diamonds, which he does in his laboratory, I believe that grading should be different because natural diamonds and LGD are different products.”

“We waited for the GIA to decide and unfortunately, they made a decision and published it when our book was already printed. This means that we were not able to comment on it in our book and to present facts in support of our two views. AGJ believes that the GIA s decision is wrong. It is generally known that the color of CVD grown LGD s is unstable and changes even at relatively low temperatures in jewelry production or repolishing. Indeed, we discussed this very problem with participants at a globally attended webinar with CVD engineer Malay Hirani, co-author of LGD book on October 15 during the launch of our new book.”

“Our new research also shows the presence of iron in the surface of polished LGDs. Undoubtedly this is due to polishing under increased diamond pressure on the polishing wheel. The structure of the unformed crystal, with many columns that are perpendicular to the table, allows iron doping as well as oil from polishing paste to be absorbed. For now, we do not know how iron will behave over time and how it will affect the color and clarity of the LGD,” he concluded.

... "

https://instoremag.com/analytical-gemol ... -as-mined/
PinkDiamond
ISG Registered Gemologist

· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ ..·´ There are miracles left for you to do .... -:¦:- -:¦:-
-:¦:- ((¸¸.·´* It all begins inside of you. ;)