Tom Chatham of Chatham Created Gems & Diamonds on the Early Days of Lab-Grown Gems

Man-made stones

Moderators: PinkDiamond, John

PinkDiamond

Tom Chatham of Chatham Created Gems & Diamonds on the Early Days of Lab-Grown Gems

Post by PinkDiamond »

After reading this you'll understand why Chatham created gemstones have been the benchmark for quality for so many decades, so anyone interested in synths should seek them out since their longevity testifies to them being the best of the best.

There are links to other interviews at the end of the article, and if you want the entire interview with Chatham you should be able to access it from there. Enjoy! :)

JCK’s 150th: Tom Chatham of Chatham Created Gems & Diamonds on the Early Days of Lab-Grown Gems
July 18, 2019 by JCK Magazine

"JCK magazine is celebrating its 150th anniversary this year! To commemorate that milestone, we’re talking to 150 veteran jewelry professionals in 2019 for a feature series meant to distill the voices of some of the industry’s most enduring and successful professionals.

We can’t print every interview in its entirety in the magazine—so we’ve been posting full interviews here on JCKonline.com every Thursday.

This week we hear from Tom Chatham, chief executive officer of Chatham Created Gems & Diamonds.

JCK: How long have you been in the jewelry industry, and how did you get started?

Tom Chatham: Officially, I have been in the jewelry industry for 53 years, starting at Chatham Research Laboratories in San Francisco in August of 1965, working under the watchful eye of my father, Carroll Chatham. However, since my family has been involved in the industry for over 80 years, my exposure to the gem and mineral world began when I was a toddler.

My parents were active in the San Francisco Gem & Mineral Society, as well as in the marketing activities surrounding the introduction of Chatham Created Emeralds. I vividly remember going to trade shows and looking at all the minerals, which my father dutifully explained in great chemical detail! It’s probably why I love Tucson so much, having exhibited there at one venue or another for over 45 years, beginning at the old Holiday Inn.

In 2018 I decided enough is enough, and finally resigned my booth at the GJX tent. I will miss Tucson, as well as the many friends Dianna, my wife, and I have made over the years. Not missed will be the sore feet and the set-up and tear-down chores! All of my children, as well as most of my employees, have worked the Tucson show at one point or another. One year we had three locations…and that was too much!

How has the industry changed since you’ve been in it?

Chatham has always been at the forefront of change, from the introduction of Chatham Created Emeralds in the mid-1940s, then the first flux ruby around 1968, followed by many colored sapphires, alexandrites, and finally the lab-grown diamond in 1996. I have seen and possibly caused many changes in the industry. I can’t say I was very impressed with the intellect of the jewelry industry in 1965. Many jewelry stores simply opened their doors and hoped a customer would walk in. The concept of gemological training was in its infancy, and the GIA [Gemological Institute of America] was struggling to survive in the wasteland of jewelry retailing. ... "

https://www.jckonline.com/editorial-art ... -334329457
PinkDiamond
ISG Registered Gemologist

· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ ..·´ There are miracles left for you to do .... -:¦:- -:¦:-
-:¦:- ((¸¸.·´* It all begins inside of you. ;)