RapNet Members Reject Idea of Listing Lab-Grown Diamonds

Man-made stones

Moderators: PinkDiamond, John

PinkDiamond

Post by PinkDiamond »

Personally, I'm glad they made this decision and that the public voted overwhelmingly not to list synths, so kudos to them. :)

By Michelle Graff
michelle.graff@nationaljeweler.com
June 4, 2019

RapNet members voted “no” to the online trading platform listing or providing prices for lab-grown diamonds, Chairman Martin Rapaport announced during his annual breakfast in Las Vegas.

"Las Vegas—RapNet members overwhelmingly rejected the idea of the trading platform listing or providing pricing for lab-grown diamonds, it was revealed Sunday.

The Rapaport Group announced May 21 that it was asking registered RapNet members who login to RapNet.com to vote on providing diamond listing and pricing services for lab-grown diamonds.

Voting opened May 26 and closed Friday, May 31. More than 7,000 votes were cast and the results were announced during the annual Rapaport Breakfast in Las Vegas.

According to the tallies released Sunday, 79 percent (5,934 voters) of RapNet members who voted said “no” to listing synthetics, compared with only 1,607 people, or 21 percent, who said yes, a result that drew a hearty round of applause from the audience.

A similar percentage, 74 percent (5,232 voters), rejected the idea of Rapaport launching a lab-grown diamond price list.

RapNet voters also overwhelmingly (88 percent, or 5,892 voters) said “yes” to requiring disclosure of treatments on man-made diamonds and to the establishment of a “natural diamond organization” (85 percent, or 5,528 voters).

Prior to announcing the results of the voting, Rapaport Group Chairman Martin Rapaport used much of his annual two-hour breakfast to express his views on man-made diamonds, echoing what he wrote in an editorial published May 21, “Synthetics Ethics.”

It’s true that lab-grown diamonds do have benefits, including affording retailers better margins and being less expensive than natural diamonds, which can make them an easier sell, he said.

But there is also a long list of negatives ...

https://www.nationaljeweler.com/diamond ... n-diamonds
PinkDiamond
ISG Registered Gemologist

· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ ..·´ There are miracles left for you to do .... -:¦:- -:¦:-
-:¦:- ((¸¸.·´* It all begins inside of you. ;)
SwordfishMining

Re: RapNet Members Reject Idea of Listing Lab-Grown Diamonds

Post by SwordfishMining »

I too applaud them. After the damage synthetics and simulants caused to the opal market both price and confidence wise, it was a easy call. I noticed in the article the end with “... We lose engagement rings, we’re done,” he said." In 1938 the industry was desperate to market them after the huge mines were discovered in Africa and got a ad agency to work them hard. New thread on the story.
I'll jump over my shadow. https://www.virginvalleyopal.com"
Opals & more at my ESTY store https://swordfishmining.etsy.com"