Leather carving & crafting.

Moderators: PinkDiamond, John

jakesrocks

Leather carving & crafting.

Post by jakesrocks »

Many years ago in the late 70"s I was heavy into leather carving and tooling. I was stationed in Spain with the Navy at the time, and good tooling leather was cheap and easy to find in that country. I made a lot of money making hand tooled purses, belts and many other items for the Navy families on the base. Some months more than my actual Navy pay. But it got to the point where it was more of a job than a hobby. Almost every spare minute was spent cutting, carving, dyeing and either sewing or lacing leather together to finish another order. I burned out on the hobby/business, and when I left Spain I sold my tools and supplies.

Recently the fire has rekindled, and I feel the need to play with leather once again. This time it will be kept a hobby, with things I make for my family and friends. I may occasionally take an order, but mostly I'll be making things as gifts.

I could have spent hundreds of dollars on new tools and supplies. Instead I have been searching out good buys on ebay, (as pink can tell you). Thanks Pink, for being my cheering squad while I bid on tools. Anyway, after a couple of months of bidding, I now have just about everything I need to get started. First projects will be a new purse for my wife, and a new belt for my best human buddy. My other and very best buddy Jake will get a new collar with his name on it.

In the coming days I will be taking pics and posting info about the various tools and their uses, and the other supplies needed. Since it has been so many years since I last set tool to leather, I'll be carving a couple of practice pieces, just to find out how much I've forgotten. I'm hoping that it's just like riding a bicycle. "You never really forget how". So wish me luck in the coming days, weeks and months ahead.

Just to not be completely away from lapidary, I've shared with Pink that I think I've figured out a way to set cabachons in leather, using only the leather as a bezel. It's worth a try anyway.

Just a warning. Those with small children, you may not want them to watch. While carving leather in Spain, my specialty was demons, dragons and skulls. Of course I did my fair share of flowers and fancy work too. But I have always been drawn to the dark side, and have recently acquired a large collection of drawings which I can trace onto leather.
PinkDiamond

Re: Leather carving & crafting.

Post by PinkDiamond »

I'm looking forward to seeing this process and the steps necessary to do this art, jake. That's too bad that you got burnt out on it before, but I'm glad you're collecting everything to get started again, and with all that experience under your belt I know we're going to get to see some fantastic leather work despite the skulls, demons, and now the zombies you're searching for. :lol:
PinkDiamond
ISG Registered Gemologist

· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ ..·´ There are miracles left for you to do .... -:¦:- -:¦:-
-:¦:- ((¸¸.·´* It all begins inside of you. ;)
Lydia

Post by Lydia »

I'd love to learn how to set cabochons in leather! Can't wait.
jakesrocks

Post by jakesrocks »

LOL Lydia, right now it's just an idea in my pea brain, but I'll give it a try soon.
kjsspot

Post by kjsspot »

I actually looked this up a while back. Never put it into application though. I found a couple of options for setting cabs in leather. I remember how but not well enough to explain it. lol
~KJ~
Mysterious opals contain the wonders of the skies - sparkling rainbows, fireworks, and lightning, shifting and moving in their depths.
ETSY: http://www.etsy.com/shop/KJOFineArt
jakesrocks

Post by jakesrocks »

They make bezels for calibrated cabs which have prongs on the back. The prongs fit through slots which you punch through the leather with a lacing chisel, and bend over on the back side of the leather. But they're cheaply made, and look it.
kjsspot

Post by kjsspot »

no these options were for carving out a spot in the leather for the cab. No prongs.
~KJ~
Mysterious opals contain the wonders of the skies - sparkling rainbows, fireworks, and lightning, shifting and moving in their depths.
ETSY: http://www.etsy.com/shop/KJOFineArt
jakesrocks

Post by jakesrocks »

My idea involves cutting a leather concho about 1/2" larger all around than the cab. Then cut a hole a little smaller than the cab in the middle. Cut away the back side of the hole to make it thinner & more pliable than the rest of the concho. Wet the leather & form it to fit over the cab. When dry the leather should be stiff enough to hold the cab firmly in place. Hand stitch the concho with cab to the item you want the cab added to. If needed, leather glue could also be used to hold the cab & concho firmly in place. For a little added bang, the concho could have a pattern stamped into it.
mdfa.ca

Post by mdfa.ca »

OH, I would love to see how it's done! Love the combination of leather and stones.
jakesrocks

Post by jakesrocks »

After looking at KJ's avatar & western hat, I think I've found the perfect leather carving pattern for her. (Don't worry Pink, I'll find one for you too). This is from a collection of tattoo flash art.

Told ya I had a dark side. :twisted: