Leather carving & crafting.

Moderators: PinkDiamond, John

jakesrocks

Re: Leather carving & crafting.

Post by jakesrocks »

:lol: Those were the days.

Actually, these particular hippies were working their way around Europe by making & selling things out of leather. Not all hippies were lazy layabouts. Back then Franco was still in power in Spain. Hippies had to have their act together, or else they ended up in Spanish jail.
PinkDiamond

Post by PinkDiamond »

crazy8s wrote:RR, silly boy your to young to know about the hippie years. ;)

:lol:

So you'll use the horse harness swivel on a new belt jake? That's cool. Never having been around horses I'm afraid I have to ask, how does it connect? :?:
PinkDiamond
ISG Registered Gemologist

· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ ..·´ There are miracles left for you to do .... -:¦:- -:¦:-
-:¦:- ((¸¸.·´* It all begins inside of you. ;)
jakesrocks

Post by jakesrocks »

LOL Pink. These would be the type of harness that would be used for a team of horses pulling a plow or a heavy wagon. The loose end of the belt (on the right) just loops through a swivel ring and back through a leather belt loop and the first belt loop on the pants.

Belt unhooks easy, and that heavy old swivel makes one heck of a weapon. (Don't ask. :twisted: )
jakesrocks

Post by jakesrocks »

Here are some vintage Hoggson & Pettis tools that I just got. Every bit as useful today as the day they were made.
All 3 are used for creasing & folding leather. The 2 in front with the light handles were also used to cane chairs
& replacing window screens. These are quality tools, made of heavy steel and role on ball bearings just as smooth today as the day they were made. These aren't the cheap plastic & pot metal tools of today.

OpalSpectrum

Post by OpalSpectrum »

cool stuff :) old tools are the best
btw. I plan to make leather cover for my rock-hammer :) .. & some time ago I made couple leather watch straps and I need to make few more but don't have to much time now

>>> Firmitas Utilitas Venustas <<<
jakesrocks

Post by jakesrocks »

OpalSupreme wrote:cool stuff :) old tools are the best
btw. I plan to make leather cover for my rock-hammer :) .. & some time ago I made couple leather watch straps and I need to make few more but don't have to much time now

Leather cover or leather sheath for the rock hammer ? I have one of Eastwing's leather sheaths that I plan to take a pattern from with modifications to hold a couple chisels.

Been a long time since I've made a watch strap. I used to make them with a leather cover over the watch crystal to protect the watch. Cover was sewn on one side, and a tiny piece of velcro on the other.
OpalSpectrum

Post by OpalSpectrum »

Leather cover or leather sheath for the rock hammer ? I have one of Eastwing's leather sheaths that I plan to take a pattern from with modifications to hold a couple chisels.

yes leather sheath something similar to axe sheath .. I think I'll design my own

Been a long time since I've made a watch strap. I used to make them with a leather cover over the watch crystal to protect the watch. Cover was sewn on one side, and a tiny piece of velcro on the other.

I think I know what you mean , in WWI some trench watches had strap like that - have you been selling them ?
I made only 'basic' simple strap because I don't have any tools :) and I wanted 'vintage looking' strap because I like vintage and military watches

>>> Firmitas Utilitas Venustas <<<
jakesrocks

Post by jakesrocks »

While stationed at the Rota, Spain Navy Base, I sold several to our Navy airmen. Our pilots liked the fact that the luminous dial on their watches could be hidden in case of a bail out in hostile territory.
Lydia

Post by Lydia »

Bump to this thread. I would love to see more of what jacksrocks is up to with leather.
jakesrocks

Post by jakesrocks »

At a stand still right now. Out of control yard & other honeydo's got in the way. :cry: