Christie’s to Auction 101 Cartier Clocks

Moderators: PinkDiamond, John

PinkDiamond

Post by PinkDiamond »

There are some gorgeous clocks here, and I'll show you the lead pic and my favorite of what's shown. Way cool. 8-)

By Brecken Branstrator
brecken.branstrator@nationaljeweler.com
April 23, 2020

A 1926 Art Deco Cartier desk clock featuring a circular burgauté lacquer dial inset with cabochon moonstones, mother-of-pearl, enamel, cabochon turquoises and rose-cut diamonds (estimated to sell for between approximately $130,000 and $190,000)

"Geneva—Christie’s Geneva will present what it calls the largest collection of Cartier clocks to ever go up for auction at its Magnificent Jewels sale in July.

The private collection of 101 Cartier clocks was amassed over three decades but represents more than 80 years of clockmaking at the storied maison, featuring examples from the late 19th century until the 1980s with enamel, gemstones and carved hardstones.

It has a pre-sale estimate of between approximately $4 million and $5.9 million, at current exchange rates, with individual estimates for lots starting at about $8,200.

Highlights of the collection include works by master horologist Maurice Coüet. His relationship with Cartier, which started in the early 20th century, helped establish the maison as a leading manufacturer of jeweled objects.

Coüet drew inspiration from magician Jean-Eugène Robert-Houdin, whom many considered to be the father of modern conjuring, and used the most technologically advanced mechanisms in his designs.

He was best known for his pendules mystérieuses, or mystery clocks, which created the illusion ... "

This 1913 Cartier Belle Epoque “Planet Semi-Mystery Day and Night” clock is inscribed in Latin with “I do not count the hours if they are not brilliant” and is made with agate, white and light blue enamel, rose-cut diamonds and gold (estimated to sell for between $150,000 and $210,000).

https://www.nationaljeweler.com/watches ... ier-clocks
PinkDiamond
ISG Registered Gemologist

· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ ..·´ There are miracles left for you to do .... -:¦:- -:¦:-
-:¦:- ((¸¸.·´* It all begins inside of you. ;)