Traditional Watches Are Outselling Smartwatches Again

Moderators: PinkDiamond, John

PinkDiamond

Post by PinkDiamond »

I'm glad to see this and hope it eventually becomes trendy to wear analog watches again because I think they look a lot nicer than the tech pieces I've seen, but I'm a dinosaur so what do I know... :lol:

June 18, 2019 by Rob Bates

"During last year’s holiday season, sales of smartwatches outpaced those of traditional watches in the United States for the first time ever, according to respected watch industry tracker the NPD Group.

“That was definitely a milestone,” says Reginald Brack (pictured below), NPD industry analyst for watches and luxury. “Smartwatches are such a heavily gifted item, so it makes sense that they would do well over the holiday. But that was the first time we have seen that result.”

However, in the first quarter of 2019, traditional watches raged back, capturing nearly two-thirds of the watch market, said NPD. Watches made with precious metals saw a double-digit gain, due in part to problems sourcing steel.

“All signs are pointing to traditional watch sales doing really well,” Brack says.

Smartwatches still claimed about one-third of overall watch sales—not a bad result for a category that is only about 4 years old, says Brack. He notes that, even in the first quarter, smartwatch sales saw more than 20% growth. In addition, three of last year’s top watchmakers—Apple, Samsung, and Fitbit—sell only smartwatches.

“Their market share is definitely growing,” says Brack. “What’s great about that section of the market is that it’s bringing new users into watch purchasing. While it is cannibalizing that $500-and-under segment, it’s not cannibalizing traditional watch buying. It’s really bringing someone who hasn’t been a watch wearer to get used to wearing something on their wrist.”

While NPD has found that most smartwatch wearers are younger, there is growing adoption from women and affluent buyers, he says.

While it’s mostly the electronic giants manufacturing smartwatches, Brack sees traditional watchmakers increasingly looking into the category.

“The one challenge for them is they need to provide that support, as far as upgrades, just like they do with mechanical watches,” he says. “They have to show a commitment to that category. That is where the challenge lies.”

Still, perhaps the statistics indicate that there’s a growing segment of consumers who feel inundated with technology in their daily lives and therefore don’t want to strap another small computer—in the form of smartwatch—onto their wrist.

Conversely, analog watches—high-end ones in particular—tout old-world appeal. ... "

https://www.jckonline.com/editorial-art ... -334329457
PinkDiamond
ISG Registered Gemologist

· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ ..·´ There are miracles left for you to do .... -:¦:- -:¦:-
-:¦:- ((¸¸.·´* It all begins inside of you. ;)
Artfldgr

Re: Traditional Watches Are Outselling Smartwatches Again

Post by Artfldgr »

one of my fav brands is Breuget
(one of my first girlfriends was a social register deb - if she was brit she be in the blue book)

but also, i have always dreamed of having a custom watch..
ie. made by hand from end to end by a watchmaker, one of a kind..

i would have settled easily for the watch i watched at La veille russie for a few years before it finally sold.
note that other than springs and small key parts, the whole of it was ivory... body, chasis, gears, face, all ivory...
La Veille Russie is gone now... recently too....

Funny thing... there is a huge set of brands that exist that most people dont know
and one of the reasons (social) they exist is that by buying, your signalling
bikers wear biker uniforms, we all wear uniforms, as our dress styles signal to others what you associate with at that time

a person who is moderately wealthy, new money, and or wanna be... would go seek rolex..
a person who is more than that, knowing these brands through family... would seek breuget

Breguet
https://www.breguet.com

Don't loose your head over the "Marie Antoinette"

a bit more on it... the 5th most complicated watch in the world..
https://www.breguet.com/en/house-bregue ... cket-watch

Said to have been fascinated by Breguet’s watches, Marie-Antoinette acquired over the years a number of his timepieces, notably a perpétuelle fitted with a self-winding device. In 1783, a mysterious admirer of hers ordered from Breguet, as a gift for the Queen, a watch that was to be as spectacular as possible, incorporating the fullest range of horological expertise known at the time. The order stipulated that wherever possible gold should replace other metals and that auxiliary mecha­nisms, i.e. complications, should be as numerous and varied as possible. No time or financial limits were imposed.

A work of art in its own right, the new Marie-Antoinette perpétuelle, or self-winding, watch features a minute repeater that on command strikes hours, quarters and minutes as well as a full perpetual calendar showing the date, the day and the month at two, six and eight o’clock respectively. At ten o’clock, an equation-of-time display expresses the difference between civil and solar time. At centre, jumping hours and a minute hand accompany a large independent seconds hand, the forerunner to the chronograph hand, while a subdial for the running seconds is situated at six o’clock. A 48-hour power-reserve indicator and a bimetallic thermometer are positioned side by side. :o :shock:

The watch’s self-winding movement ( called perpétuelle in Breguet’s day ) comprises 823 parts and components, all finished with exceptional care. Plates, bridges and bars, every moving part of the motion-work, calendar and repeater mecha­nisms are made of wood-polished pink gold. Screws are of blued and polished steel. All friction points, sinks and bearings are fitted with sapphires. The watch’s sophisticated design extends to its special escapement with natural lift, a cylindrical balance spring in gold and a bimetallic balance. A double pare-chute shock-protection device protects the balance-wheel staff and the oscillating weight arbors against blows and jarring.

no one can question my taste in watches.. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

IF i could get one, i probably would get this one (though there are a few others)
the only rolex i want is the sub mariner filled with helium for deep diving - to give my son, who is a navy officer

the mens Classique complications 3795

here is the back

Price? $125,000 give or take
as i said, there is a whole other world...
Rolex is cheap comparatively..
PinkDiamond

Post by PinkDiamond »

True enough, Art, you really do have exquisite taste in timepieces. Thanks for sharing your passion for them with us. :)
PinkDiamond

OpalSpectrum

Post by OpalSpectrum »

Cool
@Art I didn't know you are into watches 8-)

I love watches and history of timekeeping .. but there is too many things I like and too expansive so I only dream and drool over them :lol: :lol:
my main focus are vintage timepieces because I like the designs but some modern stuff is also crazy especially independents are doing now some of the best quality and amazing timepieces ever

Breguet is awesome brand with great history but nowadays is very underrated :oops:

there are too many cool timepieces to show them but I actually wanted to post this here because is somehow related to opals
check this unique (only 1 made) piece by Kari Voutilainen with stunning hand crafted lacquer dial
- I'm not sure if I would wear it but this was made to show what is possible and it's all about hand craft

:geek:

Last edited by OpalSpectrum on Thu Oct 10, 2019 9:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

>>> Firmitas Utilitas Venustas <<<
OpalSpectrum

Post by OpalSpectrum »

btw. the dial is made by Japanese masters and best 'lacquer studios' in the world
micro mosaic is made from very tiny abalone shells fragments , gold flakes and other stuff and I think the effect is amazing - it would looks awesome with opal jewelry :roll:

here is more about the dials and some more Kari V. timepieces

http://www.voutilainen.ch/item/aki-no-kure/
http://www.voutilainen.ch/the-watches/#*

Artfldgr

Post by Artfldgr »

not really into them... i just have really good taste in what i would want if i could want it..

the watch i want for my son is the rolex mariner... the one with the hydrogen gass for deep sea diving
he is a navy officer, and that sweety and its cousins are a famous grouping of very successful navy officers - harmless superstition, right?

i have material for dials..
but alas... the machine i want to cut it is out of reach unless i make it
but if i make it, wow... the things i could do... creative storm...
PinkDiamond

Post by PinkDiamond »

Nice watches, especially the Aki-No-Kure! :)
PinkDiamond

Artfldgr

Post by Artfldgr »

https://www.prices4antiques.com/item_images/medium/64/75/65-01.jpg

Bronnikov ivory watch and chain, 20th century, open face ivory watch case with Arabic numeral dial, exposed dial gearing, hinged back opens

i dont know if this was the same one... or not..

I have real expensive taste..

we sell kopi luwak online... dont make much cash, but its nice to drink

back to breguet...

and if i could wish for one... just one... and i could only have one out of all of them
Vacheron Constantin
a Swiss luxury watch and clock manufacturer founded in 1755
Vacheron Constantin is a highly regarded watch manufacturer

Over the years, notable Vacheron Constantin patrons and timepieces owners include Queen Elizabeth II, Pope Pius XI, Napoléon Bonaparte, Marlon Brando, William James, John D. Rockefeller, Diana Princess of Wales, Harry S. Truman, Wright brothers, and so on

The Vacheron Constantin pocket watch No. 402833 (1929), which was owned by King Fuad I of Egypt, ranks as one of the most expensive watches ever sold at auction, fetching US$2.77 million (3,306,250 CHF) in Geneva on April 3, 2005

In 2015, Vacheron Constantin introduced the pocket watch Reference 57260, which currently holds the title of the most complicated mechanical watch ever made, with 57 horological complications

Most of what i like is old money... neveau riche wouldnt know they existed unless they truly were into it.

here is the watch.. Reference 57260 My ULTIMATE FAV...

its a bit fat... but i can live with that - the one with the blue is what i like

Fifty-seven complications

Time measurement (6 functions)
Hours, minutes, seconds, average solar time (regulator)
Three-shaft tourbillon
Tourbillon regulator with spherical balance spring
12-hour time zone, second hours and minutes time zone
24-city display for each time zone
Day/night indication for 12-hour time zone

Perpetual calendar (7 functions)
Gregorian perpetual calendar
Gregorian day name
Gregorian month name
Gregorian retrograde date
Leap year and four-year cycle display
Number of the day of the week (ISO 8601 calendar)
Week to view (ISO 8601 calendar)

Hebrew calendar (8 functions)
Hebrew perpetual calendar and 19-year cycle
Hebrew day number
Hebrew month name
Hebrew date
Hebrew secular calendar
Hebrew century, decade and year
Age of Hebrew year (12 or 13 months)
Golden number (19 years)

Astronomical calendar (9 functions)
Seasons, equinoxes, solstices and signs of the Zodiac indicated by the hand on the sun
Star chart (for the owner's city)
Sidereal time hours
Sidereal time minutes
Equation of time
Sunrise times (for the owner's city)
Sunset times (for the owner's city)
Length of day (for the owner's city)
Length of night (for the owner's city)

Lunar calendar (1 function)
Moon phases and age (one correction every 1,027 years)

Religious calendar (1 function)
Date of Yom Kippur

3-column wheel chronograph (4 functions)
Retrograde seconds chronograph (one column wheel)
Retrograde split-seconds chronograph (one column wheel)
Hours counter (one column wheel)
Minutes counter

Alarm (7 functions)
Alarm with its own gong and gradual striking
Alarm strike / silence indicator
Choice of normal alarm or carillon striking alarm indicator
Alarm mechanism coupled to the carillon striking mechanism
Alarm striking with choice of Grande or Petite Sonnerie
Alarm power-reserve indication
System to disengage the striking mechanism when alarm barrel fully unwound

Westminster carillon striking (8 functions)
Westminster carillon chiming with 5 gongs and 5 hammers
Grande Sonnerie passing strike
Petite Sonnerie passing strike
Minute repeating
Night silence feature (10 p.m. to 8 a.m.)
System to disengage the striking barrel when fully wound
Indication for Grande or Petite Sonnerie modes
Indication for silence / striking / night modes

Others (6 functions)
Movement power reserve indicator
Power-reserve indication for the striking train
Winding crown position indicator
Dual barrel winding system
Time setting in two positions and two directions
Secret mechanism (opening of the button for alarm arbor)

Video at link... scroll to bottom
http://reference57260.vacheron-constant ... -watch?m=1
same video, but not as high def
[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=InYrmk3Ezb8[/youtube]

are the other complicated watches.
Patek Philippe Calibre 89 (1989) — 33 complications
Patek Philippe Henry Graves Supercomplication (1933) — 24 complications
PinkDiamond

Post by PinkDiamond »

Wow, fantastic Art, especially that ivory one. Never seen anything like that before, and the Bruguet is amazing. Thanks! :)
PinkDiamond

OpalSpectrum

Post by OpalSpectrum »

Artfldgr wrote:
the watch i want for my son is the rolex mariner... the one with the hydrogen gass for deep sea diving
he is a navy officer, and that sweety and its cousins are a famous grouping of very successful navy officers - harmless superstition, right?

there is Sea-Dweller and DeepSea
both great watches but quite big and chunky
normal Submariner is also great tool watch but do you know what is going on with the Rolex market ?
> all popular sport steel models are not available and if you want to pay retail price you have to sign on the waiting list
> some models you will wait 2-3 years > or if you want it now you have to pay even 2x more on second hand market :shock: crazy !!!

even more crazy is that you can buy (used - like new condition) solid GOLD Breguet with better quality movement 2x cheaper then steel Rolex
*of course I'm not talking about high complications but even these models don't hold value and used cost 40-60% of original price :shock:
but because of that Breguet is 1 of the best 'bang for your bucks' brands ;)
...maybe some day :roll:

btw. I see you like grand complications - I mean who doesn't :lol:
my holy grail watch is any timepiece with 'celestial/astronomical complication' like :
> Patek 6102P celestial > https://www.patek.com/en/collection/gra ... /6102P-001
> Jaeger-LeCoultre Master Grande Tradition Tourbillon Celeste > https://www.jaeger-lecoultre.com/vn/en/ ... 73480.html
or new Vacheron Constantin Les Cabinotiers Celestia Astronomical Grand Complication