Spring 2017 Photo Contest - post your entries

Moderators: PinkDiamond, John

rocks2dust

Spring 2017 Photo Contest - post your entries

Post by rocks2dust »

This is a simple contest. Post your photos/entries in this thread. Winning will be as random as I can do easily and without any hint of playing favorites. The contest is open to all. Feel free to invite others to come here, enter their photo and browse around our various forums. To enter:
  • Post a photo of any gem, rock or mineral. It must be a photo you have taken, conform to the forum guidelines and not be a photograph taken or owned by someone else. We'd prefer to see something that appeals to you, your own work, something you found, something you saw and liked, or a piece that has special meaning (whether it is your grandmother's sapphire ring, a rock wall, a pretty mineral, the mountain on which you were married, your birthstone, a mineral specimen that attracted you to the rock and gem hobby, or a sparkly piece of gravel your daughter brought home yesterday - the photo only needs to feature a rock, gem or mineral).
  • You may post multiple entries to increase your chances at winning, but only ONE new photo PER POST. Create a new post with a photo not previously used in this thread for each additional entry.
  • Only one prize per winner. Should you have more than one winning post, the second and/or third will be assigned to the next-closest qualifying post. In the case of ties, the tying post which was first to be submitted is the winner.
  • Each post in the thread has a number within the thread (e.g., this is post #1), which will become the entry number for that post. Posting questions, answers, comments and other discussion within this thread is fine, but such posts are not considered entries unless the post includes a relevant photo not previously entered.
  • Entries will close June 6, and winners will be determined by the last whole digits (in reverse order) of the Dow Jones Industrial Average at closing on June 8. The number of digits will be determined by the number of entries (i.e., if we have 5 entries, we will use only the last whole digit; if we have 17 entries, we will use the last 2 whole digits; if we have 134 entries, we will use the last 3 whole digits; etc.). For example, if the Dow closes at 20,981.94 on June 8, and if we have 321 entries, then the number closest to 189 (the last 3 whole numerals in reverse) will be the winner. There will be prizes for second and third places, too.
  • Be certain to check back during the week following June 8 to see whether you have won, and if so, claim your prize. A private message (PM) here will also be sent to alert you. You will only have until June 15 to check back here and PM me with your shipping address to claim your prize. Unclaimed prizes will be re-assigned to the next closest post, so check back again in the following weeks, even if your post(s) were not winners on June 8.

If you haven't posted a photo to this or similar discussion boards, see the thread here:
http://www.opalholicsanonymous.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=49&t=217

Other questions or comments may be posted below. Please feel free to visit and participate on the other forums here, too.
Last edited by rocks2dust on Thu May 18, 2017 4:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.
r2d

surplus odds and ends that I have on ebid.net
· Xtra gemstones
· Xcess fossils, minerals and rough
· Everything else
KKHK

Re: Spring 2017 Photo Contest - post your entries

Post by KKHK »

Ohhh my. Soo many favorites to choose from....... Ok will post some later today.
m76steve

Post by m76steve »

This is my gem entry, a pendent showing Dumortierite crystals growing within quartz cabochons in white gold- 8-)
DSCN8337 +.JPG
KKHK

Post by KKHK »

Wow, absolutely gorgeous. A treasure to behold.
KKHK

Post by KKHK »

Got many favorites, but I think the one piece I'm proudest of must be the Disdero Eagle project that I was lucky enough to be part of.
Not only because Warren was so kind to allow me to use his material, but mainly because even now, after quite a few years, I get pictures from the wonderful lady who wears it on special occasions. There is nothing more rewarding than seeing ones creation being apprechiated.

Meet Mrs Holly Hansons mother, for whom this was created. Picture taken recently during a dance-performance.
PinkDiamond

Post by PinkDiamond »

Fantastic, Kurt! I hadn't seen that one before and I agree, it is most spectacular. :!:

This is my prized possession of all my jewels since I designed it, and a jeweler friend cast the ring and mounted the stone, and I got to watch the whole process.

It's a 1ct VVS blue-white diamond set in 14kt YG. It was designed to be tastefully bold for its time which was back in the late 70's. :)

1ctVVSbluewhiteLeeTcreation14ktYG.JPG
PinkDiamond
ISG Registered Gemologist

· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ ..·´ There are miracles left for you to do .... -:¦:- -:¦:-
-:¦:- ((¸¸.·´* It all begins inside of you. ;)
m76steve

Post by m76steve »

This pendent is entered because I think the stones are so beautifully cut & show almost flawless, the stones compliment each other in color & clarity. Both stones over 11ct, each, mounted in 14kt white gold. Top stone is Brazilian pink topaz & the bottom stone is Pakistani bi-color tourmaline, an item that brings a smile when worn- 8-)
DSCN8217 pink topaz, tourmaline +.JPG
KKHK

Post by KKHK »

Simplicity at its best, on both creations.
Thats something I have yet to learn. I tend to overdo virtually everything.
rocks2dust

Post by rocks2dust »

Some beauties here! Keep posting your own work, and if you know of anyone who'd be interested, invite them to participate, too. Prizes are a mix of cut stones, MM and TN specimens, fossils, etc. I do need to get a few photos of at least some of the prizes - maybe over the weekend.
r2d

surplus odds and ends that I have on ebid.net
· Xtra gemstones
· Xcess fossils, minerals and rough
· Everything else
PinkDiamond

Post by PinkDiamond »

Alright, since you insist. :lol:

This is a shot I took with my scope cam, of an African sunstone's inclusions, that gemaddicts gave me years ago. So far it's my favorite inclusion photo. 8-)

PICT0134.JPG
PinkDiamond
ISG Registered Gemologist

· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ ..·´ There are miracles left for you to do .... -:¦:- -:¦:-
-:¦:- ((¸¸.·´* It all begins inside of you. ;)