Why Is De Beers Suddenly Buying Rough At Auction?

Moderators: PinkDiamond, John

PinkDiamond

Post by PinkDiamond »

When I read the headline I thought to myself, they can't be running out of diamonds! :lol: But no, there's a method to their madness, and a good reason for them to buy the rough pieces they're acquiring. Here's why. :)

By Rob Bates | July 13, 2021

"For the last 20 years, ever since it gave up its worldwide buying offices, De Beers has been far more of a rough seller than a rough buyer.

And yet, the diamond giant, in association with sightholder Diacore, recently made its second big fancy colored rough purchase in the course of a year.

On July 12, Petra Diamonds sold a 39.34 ct. Type IIb blue diamond recovered at the Cullinan diamond mine in April to a partnership between De Beers and Diacore, for $40.2 million, or $1.02 million a carat. Giving this purchase a certain layer of irony, De Beers sold the Cullinan mine to Petra in 2007.

“This sets a new milestone for Petra in achieving its highest price for a single stone,” said Petra CEO Richard Duffy in a statement.

The purchase comes on the heels of the De Beers–Diacore partnership’s purchase of the Letlapa Tala Collection of five blue diamonds from Petra in November 2020. Those stones, which weighed 85.6 cts. in total, also came from Cullinan, and sold for $40.3 million.

The purchases have sparked a bit of market speculation, with some wondering just what has brought about this sudden spurt of big-money buys.

De Beers spokesperson David Johnson says the company plans to “maximize ... "

https://www.jckonline.com/editorial-art ... h-auction/
PinkDiamond
ISG Registered Gemologist

· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ ..·´ There are miracles left for you to do .... -:¦:- -:¦:-
-:¦:- ((¸¸.·´* It all begins inside of you. ;)