Diamond Mine in Lesotho Closed for Foreseeable Future

Moderators: PinkDiamond, John

PinkDiamond

Post by PinkDiamond »

Oh my, this is shocking since Lesotho has been producing such huge diamonds lately, so apparently we won't be seeing any new ones for almost a year since the mine will be closed from April 2020 to April 2021, leaving many without jobs, and others forced to take hefty pay cuts that will be hard for them to work around since people generally incur bigger debts when they have high incomes, and the payments won't stop. How sad for everyone, including us since we won't have big diamonds to see if they're not working. :?

Oh, and get this! I cut this off right after the WHO's stats on covid cases so I would remember to tell you that I saw a post where the WHO claimed there were 10 billion covid-19 cases around the world, but there are only some 7.2 billion people on earth. Are they really that stupid, or does anyone else smell a rat here? :roll:

By Michelle Graff
michelle.graff@nationaljeweler.com
July 21, 2020

The sun sets at Firestone Diamonds’ Liqhobong Diamond Mine in Lesotho. The mine went on extended care and maintenance in early April due to the global spread of COVID-19 and will remain closed until at least April 2021. (Photo courtesy of Firestone Diamonds)

"London—One of the diamond mines in Lesotho known for producing large, valuable stones will remain shuttered until next spring, at least.

Firestone Diamonds Plc said Monday the Liqhobong Diamond Mine, which it operates in a 75-25 joint venture with the government of the Kingdom of Lesotho, has been on care and maintenance since April 9 due to COVID-19.

The mine will remain closed, with the majority of employees laid off, for at least 12 months as the company scrambles to save money in light of the uncertainty surrounding both diamond sales and prices.

“The company has gone through a painful process to implement the care and maintenance phase, which we believe is in the best interest of its shareholders and lenders,” CEO Paul Bosma said in the company’s quarterly report.

“We are determined to make our cash last as long as possible so operations can resume once the market recovers for the categories of diamonds predominantly recovered from Liqhobong.”

With the mine temporarily closed, the miner will focus on securing a capital deferral from its lender, ABSA bank, and working with its main shareholders and bondholders.

Firestone ended its fiscal year with a cash balance of $9.6 million, down from $17.3 million in Q3.

Closing the mine cost it $3.2 million, including termination costs of $1.9 million.

For those employees who remain, the company, which was looking for ways to cut costs even before COVID-19 hit, is reducing staff salaries by 25 percent, executive salaries by 40 percent and non-executive director salaries by half.

Firestone did not sell any diamonds in its fourth quarter.

The miner said it has 64,700 carats on hand, which it will sell in separate parcels to test the market and determine if it can achieve prices that make reopening the mine worthwhile.

It expects to sell the first parcel in calendar Q4 2020, though Firestone noted the global market outlook remains “uncertain,” as many countries still have to reach their COVID-19 infection peak and face the possibility of a second wave of infections.

The United States leads the world in both the number of coronavirus cases (3.4 million) and deaths (nearly 140,000, according to the latest data from the World Health Organization). Second is Brazil with 2.1 million cases and about 78,000 deaths.

In the U.S., cases are spiking in a number of states including ... "

https://www.nationaljeweler.com/diamond ... ble-future
PinkDiamond
ISG Registered Gemologist

· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ ..·´ There are miracles left for you to do .... -:¦:- -:¦:-
-:¦:- ((¸¸.·´* It all begins inside of you. ;)