Is it chrome tourmaline...

Post your mystery gemstones here!

Moderators: PinkDiamond, John

m76steve

Is it chrome tourmaline...

Post by m76steve »

On 9/27 this year i sent a stone to the GIA for a positive identification after months of listing this material as color change chrome tourmaline, today the GIA told the jeweler they have tested the stone & of this date are very interested in further testing by others at the lab. It seems ive 'stumped the stars' with this stone. The GIA says it is tourmaline, they have 'never seen material as this larger than a ct., with the color change ability or with this green color. The stone shows vslyG, in daylight, through a chelsea filter, shows RED, under incandescent light, shows red, under UV light, the stone shows a red color the entire stone, but not intense, easily seen in a dark room. This stone is 3.9cts & VS class, eye clean, should have findings by the end of the month- :?: 8-)
IMG_9388+.JPG
IMG_9384+.JPG
IMG_9824+.JPG
Last edited by m76steve on Thu Oct 18, 2018 9:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
PinkDiamond

Re: Is it chrome tourmaline...

Post by PinkDiamond »

That's fantastic news m76! Obviously something was going on with the color change phenomenon, since none of my tourmalines show that effect, but for the lab to be stumped and want to do more testing is a feather in your cap that you own such a unique tourmaline. Way to go Steve!! :mrgreen:
PinkDiamond
ISG Registered Gemologist

· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ ..·´ There are miracles left for you to do .... -:¦:- -:¦:-
-:¦:- ((¸¸.·´* It all begins inside of you. ;)
OpalSpectrum

Post by OpalSpectrum »

Nice score - congrats !

here is some info about this stuff

http://www.nordskip.com/usambara.html

>>> Firmitas Utilitas Venustas <<<
crazy8s

Post by crazy8s »

I have a usumbara tourmaline. It shows red under a chelsea filter but does not floresce under UV light.