Made an equipment score

Cabbing machine discussions here

Moderators: PinkDiamond, John

opalcreations

Re: Made an equipment score

Post by opalcreations »

MMmmmm.....sparkly stuff!
You've got some really great stuff there Don, excellent find!
PinkDiamond

Post by PinkDiamond »

Dang! How much more is there? Way to go jake! :!:
PinkDiamond
ISG Registered Gemologist

· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ ..·´ There are miracles left for you to do .... -:¦:- -:¦:-
-:¦:- ((¸¸.·´* It all begins inside of you. ;)
jakesrocks

Post by jakesrocks »

I'm still digging Pink. Should have more pics tomorrow.
jakesrocks

Post by jakesrocks »

Not part of my latest score. I'm posting this one here so pink can see the old dinosaur of a dop pot I use.
PinkDiamond

Post by PinkDiamond »

Holy moley! That looks rather big and bulky, although I'm sure it's not. It also looks like it holds quite a bit of wax, but you'll have to tell me if it does or not. BTW, I love the color so I should trade you my modern boring green plastic version since yours goes so much better with my décor. :lol:
PinkDiamond
ISG Registered Gemologist

· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ ..·´ There are miracles left for you to do .... -:¦:- -:¦:-
-:¦:- ((¸¸.·´* It all begins inside of you. ;)
jakesrocks

Post by jakesrocks »

LOL Pink. Think I'll keep it for a while. I'll leave it to you in my will.

It's about 5" diameter, and a little bit taller. The 2 little aluminum pots on top hold the wax. The funny looking thing sticking up is to rest dop sticks in while they're standing in the wax. There's enough warming surface to pre heat at least 6 - 30 X 40 cabs. And there's a little light on the front to warn you that the pot is plugged in & hot.
Brightlights

Post by Brightlights »

jakesrocks wrote:LOL Pink. Think I'll keep it for a while. I'll leave it to you in my will

This is actually a real problem, I try and tell our club members... Plan the estate and look at it from the family side. If there's straight to cash items, that's fine too leave and or have it devided among family. But for these type of items ( specialized lapidary and hobby tools) they should put in the will what to do with them. Otherwise the kids end up with them and may just chuck it after the estate sale, etc. I've dumpster dived after finding out the, now much older and not interested, kids just threw the "old rocks" in the roll off when cleaning out the house!

Think of the local club or a fellow lapidary and leave it to them because little "Jimmy" is now 55 when pap might pass and doesn't really want the old dusty equipment anymore. Or even know what it is our how to use....

I had one guy, he kept it in a storage facility for a few years and after dad passed had to cut out that cost. He kept the memory type items ( crystals, geodes, etc... ) and the rest was sold and at wholesale so he could get it out of the storage. I wish I'd had the cash at the time... But there was no Will to support the club, so they lost out. ( not entirely, he donated some but obviously not the cream...)

So, If you have a large collection, think about that. For your heirs ease of mind and also if you are involved in any social or hobby groups like a rock club, etc..

We can't take it with us, but it can be passed on.

( \ end soapbox / ) :|
Too many beautiful distractions... https://twitter.com/burningems
jakesrocks

Post by jakesrocks »

Soapbox. LOL

Already made my plans. All of my equipment & rough cutting materials is going to be divided up among my very closest rockhound friends. And my mineral & fossil collections will be donated to our local college geology dept.

That leaves my collection of Fairburn agates, which will be going to a fellow collector whom I know will really appreciate them.

The nearest rock club is 6 hours away from me. I have no local rock clubs to join.
Brightlights

Post by Brightlights »

The nearest rock club is 6 hours away from me. I have no local rock clubs to join

Sounds like a prime spot to start a club... Of course, a club of 1 would be boring. :lol:
Too many beautiful distractions... https://twitter.com/burningems
jakesrocks

Post by jakesrocks »

There used to be a club here in Aberdeen, SD. It closed shop just before we moved up here. The members were all in their 70's & 80's. Young kids were to busy playing with their video games to develop an interest in rocks & lapidary.

I tried to get the local Boy & Girl Scouts interested, but to no avail. Even took 4 coffee cans full of tumble polished rocks to the Girl Scouts for craft projects. Got a thank you letter, but no further interest.

So, here I sit with my rocks & machines, and my on line rock friends. A local club chapter of 1 member.