Cabbing to carving conversion

Cabbing machine discussions here

Moderators: PinkDiamond, John

jakesrocks

Re: Cabbing to carving conversion

Post by jakesrocks »

What kind of cabbing machine ? Can the bearings be removed ? Bearings have numbers stamped into the steel ring that holds the bearing in place. If you can clean the bearing enough to read the numbers and possibly the manufacturers name, there are cross reference lists online. You'll be able to order a direct replacement for $25.00 or less. I may even have a bearing that would fit. I inherited a couple boxes of brand new bearings a while back.

Unless your motor is very old, rotation can be reversed by swapping the positions of 2 wires under the wiring cover.
opalcreations

Post by opalcreations »

I know, bearings are cheap, but mine is a home built machine from scratch, and the bearings are somehow stuck on the shaft.
I cannot remove the shaft from the bearing. I tried a couple months ago and it is stuck tight.

The bearings are nice and cool, but there is some wobble on the wheels now, and that odd sound every now and again.
I'm guessing it's been gone for awhile, and the shaft got scored by the bearing wearing into it.

If I have to take the bearing off, I have to tear down the whole machine, and that was not built for that to happen, an oversight on my behalf.

Cabbing machine 2.0 would have MANY changes to it now that I know what can and will eventually happen.

I can't remember if my motor is reversible or not, there isn't a plate on it, the cable goes right into the motor housing, it is a pretty old motor.

Anyhow, I'll cross that bridge when it comes up, until it breaks, I'll keep on using it.

I just realized I sanded the tip of my finger off and it's bleeding on the keyboard, I hate it when that happens...lol.
jakesrocks

Post by jakesrocks »

LOL. If you haven't shed a little blood for this hobby, you're not a real lapidary / rockhound. :lol:

If you have to build again, use pillow block bearings, and put a light coat of anti seize compound on the whole shaft.
opalcreations

Post by opalcreations »

This is what it looked like when I first built it.

cabbing-machine-06oct2010-1.jpg

cabbing-machine-20sept-2010-1.jpg

Here are the bearings:
cabbing-machine-08-sept-2010-4.jpg

It's not like I "couldn't" replace the bearings, it would just really suck, and be very labor intensive.

The machine does not look near that good now, it is WELL used...LOL
jakesrocks

Post by jakesrocks »

Very nice build. I'd take the time to rebuild it, instead of building new.

I think I've spotted your problem. I see grease fittings on your pillow bearings. That means they aren't sealed, and rock grit has managed to get into the bearings. Rebuild that puppy & get new factory greased & sealed bearings.

Are there locking collars on one or both sides of your bearings ? If so, make sure you don't have a set screw that's keeping the shaft from coming out. Spray the shaft & bearings with a good penetrating oil, and let them sit for a couple days before trying to remove the shaft.

Check everything for tight set screws. Put a block of wood over one end of the shaft & give it 2 or 3 sharp taps with a heavy hammer. Then do the same from the opposite end of the shaft. You may have to do this several times to get things moving, but with a little work you should be able to get the shaft out.

I don't know if you can buy it in Canada, but if the penetrating oil doesn't work, use oil of wintergreen. Best penetrating oil you can get. But don't get it on your skin. It burns like fire. And don't get it in your eyes. The stuff can blind you. When not in use, keep it locked away from kids & pets. It smells great and is tempting to curious noses.
opalcreations

Post by opalcreations »

Yes, there are locking collars with set screws, and I made sure I loosened those!

I tapped the shaft with a rubber mallet, and it only moves an inch or so either way, then jams.

I'm not sure why I was even trying to get the shaft out, can't remember now, but your right, I should have used sealed bearings.

I think I'd like to get a whole new shaft built if I have to replace the bearings, this is a 1/2" shaft, and I find it way to skinny for me to feel comfortable with it being solid enough to bear the weight of all steel wheels if I were to load the machine up that way.

I think I'd like to go with a 1" thick shaft next time. But you know, it's not the thickness of the shaft that counts, it's how careful you are when you use it...LOL
jakesrocks

Post by jakesrocks »

A 3/4" shaft should be thick enough for 6 or even 8 wheels. 1" in my opinion would be overkill. The shaft on the Genie is only 3/4", and I haven't heard of anyone bending one.

You should be able to find 3/4" or 1" sealed pillow bearings with the same bolt hole arrangement.

If you can afford a new shaft, have it made out of stainless steel.

If you can get the shaft to move an inch in either direction, give it more penetrating oil & keep at it. Little by little it will move further until it finally comes apart. You probably have grit between the shaft and the spacers and wheel adapters.

To protect the threaded ends of your shaft, Put a nut on both ends to hide the threads. The nut will also give you a larger striking area. Rubber mallets are pretty light. Use a block of wood and about a 1 lb hammer. Face the end grain of the block towards the shaft.
opalcreations

Post by opalcreations »

Sounds like you've done this before...LOL

The shaft I have on my current machine was custom built for me, it's stainless steel.

Can you even buy pre-made shafts anywhere??
jakesrocks

Post by jakesrocks »

Who, Me ? :shock: LOL, Oh, I've done it a time or three. Right now there are 2 cabbing machines and an automatic gem drill waiting to be rebuilt. Also a couple of Poly arbors. Now all I need is the time to do them. :lol: Even after retirement, the honey do's take up most of my time. :(

The larger lapidary machine manufacturers sell arbor shafts. I'm pretty sure Covington & Lortone sell them.
PinkDiamond

Post by PinkDiamond »

jakesrocks wrote:Who, Me ? :shock: LOL, Oh, I've done it a time or three. Right now there are 2 cabbing machines and an automatic gem drill waiting to be rebuilt.

OK, that's a new one on me. What's an automatic gem drill, and how does it work? :?:

jakesrocks wrote:Also a couple of Poly arbors.

So, that's something for your parrot, right? :lol:

I need someone as handy as you around here so ask your wife if I can borrow you sometime. :mrgreen:
PinkDiamond
ISG Registered Gemologist

· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ ..·´ There are miracles left for you to do .... -:¦:- -:¦:-
-:¦:- ((¸¸.·´* It all begins inside of you. ;)