Cabbing to carving conversion

Cabbing machine discussions here

Moderators: PinkDiamond, John

jakesrocks

Re: Cabbing to carving conversion

Post by jakesrocks »

Not quite that old, but I did teach Noah how to forge spikes for that boat of his.

In a previous life I swam with the Trilobites.
jakesrocks

Post by jakesrocks »

WOO HOO !!! Found a nice used equipment stand on wheels on ebay. It'll be here tomorrow. Large enough to mount this machine on one end, and my 6" trim saw on the other. But still small enough to easily store in my garage.
PinkDiamond

Post by PinkDiamond »

jakesrocks wrote:Not quite that old, but I did teach Noah how to forge spikes for that boat of his.

In a previous life I swam with the Trilobites.

:lol:

Nice score on the stand. I'm looking forward to seeing it all set up. ;)
PinkDiamond
ISG Registered Gemologist

· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ ..·´ There are miracles left for you to do .... -:¦:- -:¦:-
-:¦:- ((¸¸.·´* It all begins inside of you. ;)
opalcreations

Post by opalcreations »

I need a new saw, I'm using a converted tile saw with a thin sintered diamond 10" blade.
I just got through trimming up some beach rocks I found yesterday, I'm covered from head to toe with water and rock bits, LOL
Chris ;)
jakesrocks

Post by jakesrocks »

I need to get to Menards for a few cans of hammer tone paint. The stand is an old Sears table saw stand from around the 50's or 60's when they still built them sturdy. Not the cheap pressed tin thing they sell now. The stand is dirty & needs paint, but otherwise is in great shape. The seller took it apart for cheaper shipping, so all I'll need to do is scrub it, paint it & put it back together.
jakesrocks

Post by jakesrocks »

opalcreations wrote:I need a new saw, I'm using a converted tile saw with a thin sintered diamond 10" blade.
I just got through trimming up some beach rocks I found yesterday, I'm covered from head to toe with water and rock bits, LOL
Chris ;)

Keep an eye on ebay. I recently got a Lyman 10" saw with power feed at a great price. Guess the other bidders didn't know what a Lyman saw was. It's now Raytech, and the Raytech saw is identical.
opalcreations

Post by opalcreations »

Good buy Jake.

I've got all my money tied up in wheels right now, can't afford any other new gear.

Maybe I can coax Santa into buying me something special this year, hehe
:)
jakesrocks

Post by jakesrocks »

Rots o ruck !! I think I've spent my limit this year. Mrs. Clause will probably leave a lump of coal in my stocking. And probably a few more under my side of the mattress. :shock:

Most of the gear I've bought this year was second or third hand. It's built better than most of the new stuff. :D
jakesrocks

Post by jakesrocks »

My stand arrived. Gonna take the steam cleaner to it to get years of wood dust & equipment oil off of it. Let it dry overnight, and get a new coat of paint on it. The seller did hose the worst of the dirt off before packaging it to ship.

Glad I found an old stand. It's made out of 14 gage steel, instead of the 18 to 20 gage tinfoil the build them out of now. Nice sturdy wheels under it. 2 of them are locking wheels. Beside the hammertone paint, all I need is a piece of MDF for the top, and 1/2" plywood for the bottom shelf.

I'll get a pic of all the dirty parts, and will get another pic when it's painted & put together.

The new old stand, still in pieces & dirty. Pill bottle has all of the nuts & bolts.

opalcreations

Post by opalcreations »

That's gonna be a nice solid stand Jake.

I actually built my cabbing machine on one of those old Black and Decker work benches, those fold up ones, but it doesn't fold up now.

I think the bearing is shot in my cabbing machine, I see leakage of old dirty grease coming out of the bearing seal, and every now and again I hear a loud "clunk" sound, makes me cringe, because if that bearing goes, it's toast.

I certainly cannot afford to buy a new one right now, so if that happens, I might be forced to buy one of those cheap stainless steel arbor setups for around $465USD. You have to hook up a motor and the plumbing to those, but that's no problem, unless the motor spins in a different direction than my existing one does, which I think they all do.

Good luck refinishing your stand!
:)