Cabbing to carving conversion

Cabbing machine discussions here

Moderators: PinkDiamond, John

jakesrocks

Re: Cabbing to carving conversion

Post by jakesrocks »

I bought a set of 5 wheels. 80 thru 600 grit. For my intended use, I'll be able to work inside curves up to 600 grit, and then use sanding drums from 6oo to around 1200 grit. Then on to a felt polish wheel. I'd prefer to use leather, but felt will follow the convex shape better.
opalcreations

Post by opalcreations »

I see that Jade carver guy has a pretty good business in reselling those Chinese wheels, lots of ebay auctions, good for him, I like to see people be successful in what they do. :)

I'm one who never buys from resellers, I go to the source, in this case, the factory in China is custom manufacturing my wheels to spec for me.
If they turn out to be descent quality, I'll be posting some for sale here on the forum in the buy/sell thread.

I'm not a greedy guy, as long as I make a few bucks to make things worth my while, I'm more happy to just help people out if I can, that's a much bigger reward to me than any money could possibly give me :)

A few people have helped me out along the way in life, and I never forget that, know what I mean Pink?!
Chris :)
jakesrocks

Post by jakesrocks »

Will you be getting wheels finer than 600 grit ? If so, I may be interested. Jade Carver topped out at 600 grit. Haven't checked his adds in about a year.
On other forums I've heard nothing but good things about his wheels. If yours are from the same source, they should be good wheels.
opalcreations

Post by opalcreations »

Actually, I'm getting a few concave samples made, 6" x 1.5" 1" hole, in 600 grit, and in 2000 grit also.

I'm not sure if they are really from the same source, (There are ALOT of diamond electroplating companies in China that's for sure!!) and I never count my chicks before the eggs hatch, so lets just see if what I receive are good quality wheels and as promised or not, cross yer fingers, you just never know when ordering from China.

I could actually purchase diamond electroplated wheels wholesale for as low as $15 bucks each, but I cannot imagine the quality of a wheel that low priced being any good.

Chris :)
jakesrocks

Post by jakesrocks »

Cabber modifications on hold. Gotta get some slabbing done before the winter freeze.
opalcreations

Post by opalcreations »

Geesh, everything is on hold huh?!

I wanna see your slabs when your done, what are you slabbing??
jakesrocks

Post by jakesrocks »

Got boxes full of various types of Owyhee picture jasper to slab. (Love the stuff). Also about 9 lbs of Woodward Ranch red plume that needs slabbing.
I'll have a 16", 2 - 10" & a 6" saw all going at once. And I'll be running back & forth between them, trying not to ruin a blade.
granniesgems

Post by granniesgems »

Now that is a beautiful machine! Love refurbishing old things. Can't wait to see it when you're done! Would also love to see the work you produce on it.
jakesrocks

Post by jakesrocks »

LOL. At my age I just hope I can stick around long enough to use it after the rebuild.
PinkDiamond

Post by PinkDiamond »

:lol: Gee, maybe he's even older than I am! Were you born back when the dinosaurs roamed too jake, or are you prehistoric? :P
PinkDiamond
ISG Registered Gemologist

· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ ..·´ There are miracles left for you to do .... -:¦:- -:¦:-
-:¦:- ((¸¸.·´* It all begins inside of you. ;)