Rock & Equipment storage.

Share your images, comments and tutorials on your home brew lapidary equipment here!

Moderators: PinkDiamond, John

jakesrocks

Rock & Equipment storage.

Post by jakesrocks »

This isn't exactly equipment, but I decided that I needed secure storage for my valuable cutting rough and spare equipment. Locally I found a 20' shipping container which had only made one trip from the west coast to South Dakota. Except for a couple of small dents in the end wall and fork lift tire marks on the floor, it's in like new condition.

Plans are to install shelving across the end wall, and a few feet along each side wall for boxes of rocks. A small work bench will also be added along one wall, as well as neon lighting and electrical outlets. As work on the conversion progresses, I'll post pics.
But for now, here is my new rock shed as it arrived.

These containers in near new shape aren't cheap. Total cost delivered to my property was $3,650.00. But if you want water proof, bug & rodent proof storage for your valuable materials & equipment, these are great. They have a double seal on both doors, and can be fitted with up to four locks for extra security.
opalcreations

Re: Rock & Equipment storage.

Post by opalcreations »

There was a point not too long ago I considered buying some of those, making an underground bunker out of them, and living in it underground, LOL

Great buy Don!
Chris :)
jakesrocks

Post by jakesrocks »

Thanks Chris. Wish I'd bought one of these a long time ago.

Water table is too high around here for underground living. In a really wet spring the box would float right out of the ground.
SwordfishMining

Post by SwordfishMining »

Actually they are vented (mine is) so it would fill with water if submerged long. If you do bury it you have to buy a weight bearing plate for the top or they fold right in. I got a forty fter and a tall one too; the 9 ft Q. I even put it on a real gravel pad not just a flat scrape. I cut holes and welded vents that can be shuttered on both ends, or kicked out if some yahoo thinks its funny to lock in a man. I have not got a fan or heater there yeat as we have to pay for a bldg on property taxes if we run power to them. Negligible but still. Also alarm it with an independent screamer, dogs whatever as we all know locks keep honest people honest. Crooks buy big bolt cutter or carry torches but need silence. My "green wood all wept sap in the high heat and the ice did not freeze it off. I'd run power if it wasn't just a glorified shed at this point.
I'll jump over my shadow. https://www.virginvalleyopal.com"
Opals & more at my ESTY store https://swordfishmining.etsy.com"
PinkDiamond

Post by PinkDiamond »

Sweet container, jake. That's great that it only made one trip, and it looks perfect in the pics. :!:

I'm curious why you would use neon lights, of all things. :shock: They're so stark, and not natural colors so you've got me wondering. :?:

That's a good idea about installing the vents, John. I already told him he'd better make a way out in case his wife figures out about all the auctions he wins and slams the door on him herself. Now that's funny! :lol: :lol: :lol:
PinkDiamond
ISG Registered Gemologist

· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ ..·´ There are miracles left for you to do .... -:¦:- -:¦:-
-:¦:- ((¸¸.·´* It all begins inside of you. ;)
Brightlights

Post by Brightlights »

Nice box Jake... If there be burying thoughts about these, not only a top plate, but on the side stack up caged rock wall... Otherwise when you backfill after setting it in the hole, you could crush the sides. There were sone funny pictures of the results on the internet of the typical "in a hurry to bury" accidents that happens when folks Are trying to be stealthy and not requesting help, etc... :lol: :lol:

I have not got a fan or heater there yeat as we have to pay for a bldg on property taxes if we run power to them.

John, we had a similar situation in our rock/mineral club. We rebuilt a previously collapsed garage on the property next to our main facilities, to use as storage. The community gardens we are situated in explained we'd have to pay rent on the building we just rebuilt for them! (as opposed to the eyesore pile of rodent invested rotting timbers that used to be there!) after negotiations they thought they had us by saying the electricity would mean it was improved, not the structure that we we're building, hence a space to lease. .... Ok, so the electrician modified the plans so that all electric for the lights and a few outlets are wires into a fuse box with a separate pigtale coming out with a typical plug end on it. When we need lights we have a heavy duty 50ft line we unroll and plug into the circuit he built onto the outside of our facilities and plug the cord into that extension. So we only have lights when we need and they can't charge us rent on the building we bought and put up! :lol: :lol:
Too many beautiful distractions... https://twitter.com/burningems
jakesrocks

Post by jakesrocks »

My plans are to have our electric COOP put a 30 amp RV hookup on a nearby power pole, And I'll put a water tight RV type inlet plug on the outside of the box. 30 Amp power panel inside with lights & outlets. When I want power to the box I'll bring out the RV power cord & hook her up. No building taxes on a movable storage container.

I've had people suggest putting windows in the sides. But with windows someone can sneak on the property & see what's stored in the box. We have 2 not so honest neighbors out here. I'd hate to have to explain why one of them had a load of # 8 shot in his carcass.
Brightlights

Post by Brightlights »

Yeah, leathal overdose of lead poisoning is a hard thing to explain to authorities... I wouldn't put windows in either... Point it towards the sun and open the doors!
Too many beautiful distractions... https://twitter.com/burningems
jakesrocks

Post by jakesrocks »

I have the box pointed straight to the south. Aimed straight at the back of the house where I can see the doors & down both sides. It's about 45' behind the house. Easy range for that #8 shot. Think I'll get a sign to hang on a door that says "Property Protected by Remington Security Systems". That should be a clear enough warning for thieves. :twisted:
SwordfishMining

Post by SwordfishMining »

I always figured burglars were extra cautious so the workplace had to to be deviously unsafe and totally disorganized to start with so it could never be quick and thorough- Yes who ever gets stuck with my estate is going to hate my lack of labeling or pricing. And as if having a dead family member, pet or "special" brother-in-law would ever be acceptable, the new pocket hand tool proof steel wire cargo net cartoon character trap hooked to the ceiling and an alarm is non fatal, probably. LOL.
I'll jump over my shadow. https://www.virginvalleyopal.com"
Opals & more at my ESTY store https://swordfishmining.etsy.com"