Home brew equipment

Share your images, comments and tutorials on your home brew lapidary equipment here!

Moderators: PinkDiamond, John

jakesrocks

Home brew equipment

Post by jakesrocks »

Thanks for starting this new section. As soon as I get all of the pics in one place, and possibly take a couple of new pics, I'll start a thread about a home brew 3 head sphere machine that I've been building for almost 2 years.
opalcreations

Re: Home brew equipment

Post by opalcreations »

No problem!
More good things to come soon :)

Can't wait to see all your pics.

My cabbing machine is in the midst of being rebuilt, I discovered it leaks all over the place since I moved it, it didn't like being in the truck I guess....lol.
Chris :)
jakesrocks

Post by jakesrocks »

LOL, nothing worse than a leaky machine. I'm in the middle of converting an old 6" Beacon Star cabber into a carving machine with 5 - 1/2" convex carving wheels. and when I finish that, I have a vintage Hillquist gem drill to tear down & rebuild. So many projects, so little time.
opalcreations

Post by opalcreations »

Sounds like a kewl project.

I'm actually looking in to importing for resale some diamond electroplated cabbing and carving wheels for resale here in Canada.

If I can obtain anything from China that is half decent quality, (I know, it's a pipe dream!!...LOL) I'll post them here for sale to anyone who might want to try them out.

It sux to have to work on these machines at times, but there is a certain satisfaction that comes with knowing that you designed and built something yourself that works just as good, if not better than an expensive store bought unit!
Chris :)
jakesrocks

Post by jakesrocks »

You might try contacting Jadecarver. http://jadecarver.com/DiamondTools.htm That's where I bought my carving wheels. They're Chinese imports. Heavy machined steel hubs. He might tell you where he gets them.

I kind of like working on the old machines. There's a bunch of satisfaction in bringing something back to life. And the old vintage machines were built to last.

My problem with building my own equipment is that I'm too much of a perfectionist. It has to be perfect or I'll tear it apart & start over. Guess it comes from about 40 years of precision sheet metal work.

If I remember, I'll post a pic of one of the carving wheels tomorrow.
opalcreations

Post by opalcreations »

I already have suppliers, and will be selling them as jadecarver is :)
Thanks for the referral though, I've actually bought from them before, he sells good wheels.

I know what you mean about being a perfectionist, I can be my own worst enemy when I'm trying to build something, I have to keep reminding myself that functionality is the main goal!!
PinkDiamond

Post by PinkDiamond »

Alright guys, show us your machines so we can admire your handiwork. ;)
PinkDiamond
ISG Registered Gemologist

· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ ..·´ There are miracles left for you to do .... -:¦:- -:¦:-
-:¦:- ((¸¸.·´* It all begins inside of you. ;)
jakesrocks

Post by jakesrocks »

LOL. Washing dishes right now. I'll get the pics of my sphere machine in order & post them this evening.
opalcreations

Post by opalcreations »

You show me yours & I'll show you mine, haha.
:)
jakesrocks

Post by jakesrocks »

OK Chris, I showed mine. Now lets see yours. LOL