How to Build a Multipurpose Microscope Stage for Gems

Share your images, comments and tutorials on your home brew lapidary equipment here!

Moderators: PinkDiamond, John

PinkDiamond

Post by PinkDiamond »

I'm not sure I understand his directions :lol: , but this could be a cool project for anyone who does. I can't see the video, but pulled its number from YT to post it, so if it's wrong, please LMK. :)

by Dr. Raul Berenguel, PhD.

Figure 1: A multipurpose microscope stage for gems.

"When observing gemstones through a microscope, we gemologists normally use gemological tweezers or a stone holder. We can attach these tweezers to the microscope itself or to an external support.

It’s important to use tweezers instead of fingers to keep dirt, oil, and fingerprints off the gem. Unfortunately, the tweezers also make minor movements and adjustments to viewing angles difficult or limited. Since gemologists have to move the tweezers by hand under magnification, the images jump abruptly. Furthermore, the small button of the tweezers doesn’t allow for soft movements, which makes rotating the gem no easy task.

To address this problem, I’ve created a multipurpose microscope stage for gems that you can build yourself. You can see the finished instrument in Figure 1 at the top of this article. The video below shows how the stage moves and works.

What You Need

To build this, you will need ...

https://www.gemsociety.org/article/mult ... tage-gems/
PinkDiamond
ISG Registered Gemologist

· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ ..·´ There are miracles left for you to do .... -:¦:- -:¦:-
-:¦:- ((¸¸.·´* It all begins inside of you. ;)