Children’s jewellery: Are retailers missing out?

Moderators: PinkDiamond, John

PinkDiamond

Post by PinkDiamond »

This is regular jewelry you'd find in a store, but our designers may not have considered creating jewelry for children so I thought I'd show this to you. Kids are influenced by what they see in the media, on their peers, older siblings and even parents, not to mention their idols, so they want to emulate them and look just like them, with their own spin on it of course. So it might be a good idea to give some thought to designing some items for the little ones, and there's an added bonus with women like me, who wear tiny gold bands just behind the nail joint on my pinky fingers. Always looking to be unique, I decided I wanted such gold bands 40 years ago in 1980 when I was in Houston, but even in a big city nobody carried rings that small, so I ended up commissioning one from a guy I met named Tiger, and he did such a good job I've worn them ever since, so you never know who might be interested in children's jewelry sizes. ;)

I'll take you through page 2, so the link at the bottom will drop you there. Hope y'all can use this. :)

January 4, 2018
By Dasha Moller

Today’s children will be future customers, so why not start the relationship now?
Photo © http://www.bigstockphoto.com

"In a retail market saturated with bridal and engagement jewellery, it’s important not to overlook what’s happening in fashion jewellery at retailers such as H&M, Aldo Accessories, Ardene, and Claire’s. Although these stores don’t offer fine jewellery, the buying trend remains the same: young girls are following jewellery styles and wanting pieces they can afford and wear daily.

Why are these retailers appropriating the market for children’s jewellery? After 20 years of working in Europe, this author is surprised to see the lack of products for kids in Canadian jewellery stores. Although European jewellery is deeply rooted in religious and heirloom pieces, the continent’s jewellers have figured something out: today’s children will be future customers, so why not simply start the relationship now?

Indeed, by investing in children’s jewellery, there is an opportunity for a jewellery store to differentiate itself and position itself as a family partner.

Special moments

“Jewellery helps celebrate special moments in life’s stories,” says Rosa Tous, corporate vice-president at TOUS. “We are part of the most important moments of our customers’ lives.”

Founded in 1920 as a small watch repair shop in Barcelona, TOUS has become a lifestyle jewellery brand with a strong position in the affordable luxury segment. With more than 500 stores worldwide and sales of $585 million during the 2016 fiscal year, the brand is considered a global authority on creating an emotional bond with the customer.

Part of what sets TOUS apart is its proactive attitude toward partnering with customers in the various phases of their lives. According to Tous, “There are always new moments to celebrate during a child’s life.”

Kids are growing up faster

A British Broadcasting Corporation (BBC) article by Sean Coughlan states, “Childhood is over for many children by the age of 12.” If one takes this into consideration alongside a Canadian Youth Television (YTV) report stating 60 per cent of kids influence family purchases, children are most likely defining their fashion identities and purchasing habits long before the age of 12. (Additional resources can be found here and here.)

Offering jewellery for children can be a great way to engage future customers.
Photo courtesy ELF925

“Consumer culture reaches kids at an earlier age,” explains Nicolas Appave, e-commerce manager at ELF925, an international sterling silver manufacturer. “Children are now using fashion to define themselves more so than previous generations, and in developed economies, although the birth rates are generally lower, parents are spending more.”

The gap

Consumers are finding more value in the stories their jewellery tells, rather than the price.
Photo courtesy UnicornJ

Zev Samuel, co-founder of UnicornJ, a Canadian brand specializing in Italian fine jewellery for children, believes parents are trying to teach their children to be unique and to look for accessories that add character and value to their wardrobes. However, with current offerings, this is easier said than done.

“There is a market for fine jewellery that is not cheap,” says Samuel. “There’s a void for tweens and young teens, with few options available for them in your average jewellery store.”

Bracelets are a great example of a product that can easily be purchased by young girls. A gold chain may be out of their budgets, but bracelets incorporating fun designs and creative materials such as pearls, ceramics, resins, and crystal are a good way to get products in display cases for this demographic.

Focus on the memories

Children’s jewellery is all about gift giving. One way a retailer can emphasize this segment of business is by getting to know customers and being there for their special occasions, such as baby showers, weddings, birthdays, births, religious celebrations, recitals, sports victories, graduation, and so on.

For example, if a child hasn’t been gifted jewellery but still likes to wear bracelets, earrings, and necklaces, the most common destinations to buy these items are at costume and toy stores. Why can’t they be found at a local jeweller?

One way of creating hype about children’s lines is by adding child-specific campaigns to a retail calendar. A retailer can run a children’s jewellery campaign alongside one for adults. Create awareness of products with an attractive display and use social media channels to share the news. Spring is a busy time for the bridal jewellery market—why not add a promotion for flower girls, too?

Offer personalization

Personalized jewellery can be a unique gift treasured for many years. Often, jewellers will recommend celebrating the birth of a child with a ‘one for Mommy and one for baby’ deal, making two sales in one.

Children admire what adults wear and should have more options available to them, such as watches and gemstone jewellery.
Photo courtesy TOUS

To easily create a unique shopping experience, a retailer might: ... "

https://www.jewellerybusiness.com/featu ... missing/2/
PinkDiamond
ISG Registered Gemologist

· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ ..·´ There are miracles left for you to do .... -:¦:- -:¦:-
-:¦:- ((¸¸.·´* It all begins inside of you. ;)