Know your stone settings: The four techniques jewellers favour the most

Moderators: PinkDiamond, John

PinkDiamond

Post by PinkDiamond »

Although this one's focused on how gems are set in watches, the methods are the same for all jewelry so I'm putting this one in jewelry making. I've often wondered how they do some of these types of settings, so I found this one particularly interesting. Hope you do too. These watches are all gorgeous so see if you can pick just one. I can't. Enjoy! :)

by Charmian Leong

Watchmakers and jewellers rely on a variety of stone settings to bring out the brilliance of the gems. (Photos: Hublot, Jaeger-LeCoultre)

From bead to snow, and channel to invisible, here are the gem settings most favoured by watchmakers and jewellers.

"If Jaeger-LeCoultre’s Rendez-Vous line is for the woman who likes elegantly designed round watches just subdued enough to pair with a power suit, then the new Rendez-Vous from this year’s SIHH are for the woman who doesn’t want her elegantly designed round watches to shine under fluorescent lighting but to dazzle under spotlights and chandeliers.

The Dazzling Rendez-Vous watches, comprising a day/night model and a moon phase model, are aptly named thanks in large part to 3.43 carats worth of diamonds adorning the white or pink gold cases. Board meeting accessories these are not. Diamond-set bezels are par for the course in women’s timepieces, but Jaeger-LeCoultre has turned to traditional jewellery for inspiration in this case by using the prong setting for its brilliant-cut stones.

Jaeger-LeCoultre's Dazzling Rendez-Vous Night & Day. (Photo: Jaeger-LeCoultre)

This type of setting, which typically uses three, four or six individual prongs or claws to mount a gemstone, is especially popular for engagement rings because it allows light to strike the solitaire from more angles. But when set in a series, the Dazzling Rendez-Vous gains a subtle scalloped edge appearance that sets it apart from its contemporaries.

The bezel of the Dazzling Rendez-Vous Moon employs a prong setting, a technique more commonly found on engagement rings, to highlight the radiance of the diamonds. (Photo: Jaeger-LeCoultre)

... "

https://cnaluxury.channelnewsasia.com/o ... t-11466186
PinkDiamond
ISG Registered Gemologist

· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ ..·´ There are miracles left for you to do .... -:¦:- -:¦:-
-:¦:- ((¸¸.·´* It all begins inside of you. ;)