Jeweler’s Workbench Buying Guide

Moderators: PinkDiamond, John

PinkDiamond

Post by PinkDiamond »

This includes links to workbenches of various qualities and features at various prices; most of the pretty high. I don't use my workbench very often, so I only sprang for the mini workbench, as shown at the link in the article, and I added the organizer shown below it on top to hold my tools, so you can have a decent workspace for about a C note if you're on a budget. The article has sublinks to the items on Amazon and Rio Grande, so check them out and see what suits your needs. Surprisingly enough, Rio Grande's price is better then Amazon's on the model I clicked through to see. ;)

by Megan Coward, Graduate Jeweler Gemologist, GIA, Graduate Gemologist

You can customize and organize your own jewelry making workspace to suit your needs. However, if you’re in the market for a commercially available jeweler’s workbench, read on. “Jeweler’s Bench” by Mauro Cateb. Licensed under CC By-SA 3.0.

"Every jeweler needs a place to work. Investing in a jeweler’s workbench is a wise decision.

What is a Jeweler’s Workbench?

Jeweler’s workbenches sit higher than regular workbenches. This helps prevent hunching and subsequent back problems.

A jeweler’s workbench typically includes the following features:

* A metal lined bottom drawer that pulls out, for catching all metal shavings.
* Bench pins and holes designed to hold ring mandrels.
* Multiple drawers to hold tools for easy accessibility.
* A walled top surface to keep items from rolling off.

You may need to notch the bench pin that comes with your bench. Use your saw with a heavy blade to do this.

Jeweler’s Workbench Models
Beginner’s Workbenches

If you’re just starting out or doing light jewelry work, you can find reasonably priced, well-reviewed benches on Amazon and Rio Grande. These feature three drawers and one aluminum-lined drawer to catch metal filings. They also include pullout armrests on each side of the bench pin to steady yourself while working.

Sturdier Models ... "

https://www.gemsociety.org/article/jewelers-bench/
PinkDiamond
ISG Registered Gemologist

· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ ..·´ There are miracles left for you to do .... -:¦:- -:¦:-
-:¦:- ((¸¸.·´* It all begins inside of you. ;)
Artfldgr

Re: Jeweler’s Workbench Buying Guide

Post by Artfldgr »

My "workbench" is a old kindergarten desk which was being tossed.
you know, sturdy enough to withstand a nuclear bomb, if a kid hid under it! :roll:
ok, well, almost...

stuck into the side is two white three draw plastic boxes...
a big vice holds a 4x4 that is my light and tool rail..
i put it up on a small three sides frame that has wheels...
and its the right hight to sit in the living room and watch tv, and wheel it away when not working
its all decked out for what i do, from art, to scupture, to jewelry, to electronics, to to to..

heck, my computer desk is equally cheap and superior function... a fold away picnick table. room for my printer, scanner, phone, plygs, some paper, etc.
all for (at the time) $25... looks great actually... put the large three drawer plastic storage to the left of my seat and it holds a pretty good screen. with a great gap and open in the back for wires... much better than any smaller version for an office i have ever seen if you value superior function over aesthetics... but truth is it doesnt look bad either... but not as good as a large top lapis desk with a build in dark window flat screen under.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: