Cuttlefish for casting

Moderators: PinkDiamond, John

mick

Cuttlefish for casting

Post by mick »

I am finding some large thick ones, anyone tried this method? It looks simple.
Rockranger1

Re: Cuttlefish for casting

Post by Rockranger1 »

Australian giant cuttlefish which is often half a meter in length (not including its tentacles) and weighs more than 10kg. What are you trying to catch?
kjsspot

Post by kjsspot »

I have not tried it yet. I don't have casting equipment.
~KJ~
Mysterious opals contain the wonders of the skies - sparkling rainbows, fireworks, and lightning, shifting and moving in their depths.
ETSY: http://www.etsy.com/shop/KJOFineArt
mick

Post by mick »

Ah RR, youre pulling my leg!

KJ is looks very simple. All you do is get to cuttlefich or halves, make level, squish the object you want to replicate in it, make a few drain and air holes, clamp together and pour in the material.

The cuttlefish bone is all calcium, handles the heat. and gives a lovely pattern to finished object.

http://userblogs.ganoksin.com/primitive ... h-casting/
PinkDiamond

Post by PinkDiamond »

I have a feeling Rock and I were both thinking that the title 'cuttlefish for casting' was about casting a fishing line to fish for cuttlefish, since casting is what you do with a fishing line, and mick now lives on the shore, so I'm really glad you explained further, and at least we knew it wasn't like a casting call for cuttlefish to star in a movie. Nobody's making a flick called 'Finding Cuttlefish' or something like that, right? :lol: That's the problem with the English language since you can have so many different meanings for the same word. :?

I love the article you linked us to. It's just too bad the sublinks to the counter-blogs won't work for me, which is odd that it tells me it can't reach its own blog from its own blog. :roll:

Very cool mick, thanks so much for showing us about cuttlefish casting. Who knew? :D
PinkDiamond
ISG Registered Gemologist

· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ ..·´ There are miracles left for you to do .... -:¦:- -:¦:-
-:¦:- ((¸¸.·´* It all begins inside of you. ;)
Rockranger1

Post by Rockranger1 »

Hahaha! seriously i thought you were fishin.
mehoose

Post by mehoose »

mick wrote:I am finding some large thick ones, anyone tried this method? It looks simple.

Did you give it a go Mick? It's one thing to cast it inside but oh boy .... stinky. :mrgreen:
PinkDiamond

Post by PinkDiamond »

OMG, I can't believe my eyes! Mehoose!!! How the heck are you, and what's going on in your life? I am delighted to see you, and hope you'll have time to come back and tell us what you've been up to. Hope everything is going great with you and yours. :D
PinkDiamond
ISG Registered Gemologist

· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ ..·´ There are miracles left for you to do .... -:¦:- -:¦:-
-:¦:- ((¸¸.·´* It all begins inside of you. ;)
Rockranger1

Post by Rockranger1 »

Still don't know how to spell moose eh? Lo!l nice to hear your still kickn . ;)
mehoose

Post by mehoose »

PinkDiamond wrote:OMG, I can't believe my eyes! Mehoose!!! How the heck are you, and what's going on in your life? I am delighted to see you, and hope you'll have time to come back and tell us what you've been up to. Hope everything is going great with you and yours. :D

:mrgreen: A blast from the past eh! :lol:
I'm doing really well these days. I'll find an appropriate thread to post in so I don't totally derail the topic which I will expand upon if mick is still interested in the info.