Book review: In Quest of the Indescribable – The Artistry and Life of a Gem Carver

Post all non-opal carvings and creations here!

Moderators: PinkDiamond, John

PinkDiamond

Book review: In Quest of the Indescribable – The Artistry and Life of a Gem Carver

Post by PinkDiamond »

From Gem Scene, y'all are going to be amazed at this artist's carvings, so much so that some of you may even want to get his book, but whether you do or not, you're gonna love these. There are so many gorgeous ones I can't even choose a favorite. Enjoy! :)

"The world of gemstones is full of wonders. And, one of these wonders is the art of carving Nature’s amazing creations to illuminate even further their splendor. To better understand this art and the relationship of the artist to his subject, we turn to a wonderful book by Glenn Lehrer, an American ​artist-carver extraordinaire.

Book Review by Cynthia Unninayar

The Wanderer, by Lehrer-Pauly Visionary GemArt, 20,000-ct optically clear quartz with thin zones of citrine and smoky quartz, faceted and carved intaglio, circa 1995. (Photo: Lee-Carraher Photography)

"In these few words, the author sums up his continuing journey, not just in his ever-evolving talent as one of the world’s most prominent and respected gem carvers, but also in a remarkable adventure where he delves into the innermost nature of our universe and its accompanying spiritual and mystical beliefs, uniting the worlds of the seen and the unseen. His is a story on several thought-provoking levels.

Front cover of "In Quest of the Indescribable – The Artistry and Life of a Gem Carver" by Glenn Lehrer. Publisher: Gemporia Ltd; 58 color illustrations; ISBN: 978-0-9956839-0-7; 290 Pages.

Lehrer’s adventure into the fascinating world of crystals and gems began in 1975 after spending two and a half years traveling the world in his mid-20s. With no idea of what he wanted to do with his life, he began a series of nomadic wanderings in Europe, followed by the Middle East and Central Asia. Among his many exploits, he describes experiences that include a wild ride on the Orient Express, bone-chilling fear at the fabled Khyber Pass between Pakistan and Afghanistan, how he secretly spent the night on a military base in France, and many other riveting escapades. One of his longest stays on these worldly travels was in a remote monastery in southern India in search of life’s meaning and direction, and—above all—self-discovery.

When he finally returned home, he was, alas, not really any closer to figuring out his life’s goals. But, as it would happen, his brother gave him a quartz crystal one day as a small gift. “As I held the crystal, I felt a surge of energy run from my hand, up through my arm and explode in my head,” he writes. “Never before had I felt anything so powerful, let alone from an inanimate object.”

Maine Phoenix, NICHE Award winner 1991, featuring carved Maine watermelon tourmaline (179 carats), a trillion 0.52-ct diamond and 18K yellow gold. On permanent display at The Maine Mineral and Gem Museum. (Photo: Harold and Erica Van Pelt)

This was the spark that changed the young man’s life, setting him on a journey of exploration and discovery, a journey into the world of gems that was essentially self-guided. He knew he wanted to work with them, to bring out their beauty even further, to carve them. Yet, in 1976, when he began to explore carving, there were no schools or masters to teach him. ... "[/i]
http://www.gemscene.com/glenn-lehrer.html
PinkDiamond
ISG Registered Gemologist

· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ ..·´ There are miracles left for you to do .... -:¦:- -:¦:-
-:¦:- ((¸¸.·´* It all begins inside of you. ;)
crazy8s

Re: Book review: In Quest of the Indescribable – The Artistry and Life of a Gem Carver

Post by crazy8s »

That was great