Carving a Black Jade Pendant Set

Post all non-opal carvings and creations here!

Moderators: PinkDiamond, John

PinkDiamond

Post by PinkDiamond »

This is gorgeous in its simplicity, and is cut from a fairly recent new find of black jade in Arizona, with a composition that's slightly different from other jades. They go thru the entire cutting process in photos, and it's very interesting to see how he cuts it. From the Gem Society, there's a lot of information here. Enjoy! :)

by Jeff R. Graham

"One of the featured Kraft Masters this year is a friend of mine named Jason Penn. Jason demonstrated carving/cabbing a black jade pendant set with a fresh water pearl.

A black Jade and pearl Pendant carved by Jason Penn.

Black Jade – Black Jade

This black jade is from a fairly recent find in the USA which is not a traditional producer of jade.

While this material is called black Jade it is very slightly different than traditional jade. Technically there is 2 molecules of copper in this material that normal jade does not have.

For all practical purposes this material is black Jade and works like any Jade I have ever cut with the exception of this black Jade is easier to work and polish than a lot of Jade I have used. The hardness is basically the same and it really works well and polishes easily and nicely. Which if you have cut Jade you know this is not always the case.

https://www.gemsociety.org/article/carv ... ndant-set/
PinkDiamond
ISG Registered Gemologist

· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ ..·´ There are miracles left for you to do .... -:¦:- -:¦:-
-:¦:- ((¸¸.·´* It all begins inside of you. ;)