Suzanne Kalan on Her Pearl Capsule Collection for CPAA

Moderators: PinkDiamond, John

PinkDiamond

Post by PinkDiamond »

Pearls are timeless jewels, and if you're anything like me, by the time you get to be my age you've collected a lot of them. I've been given white pearls since I was a child, I bought some pink pearls from a friend in Thailand whose wife strings them, and I've had a black Tahitian pearl necklace, bracelet, and a ring for many years, yet I never wear them, instead favoring a multi-color, iridescent pearl bracelet with a metallic luster because they go so well with the opals I'm always wearing. :mrgreen:

That said, my black Tahitian pearls have more iridescent colors than these appear to have, even though they mention the colors in the article. I should try shooting a few pics of mine and see how the look in comparison, because these almost look to be flat black. Check these out and see what you think. :)

By Brittany Siminitz | October 13, 2021

"Suzanne Kalandjian, founder of Suzanne Kalan, known for its iconic baguette jewelry designs, recently teamed up with the Cultured Pearl Association of America (CPAA) to create a capsule collection featuring Tahitian pearls.

With the bold, luminous black pearls at their centers, Kalan’s signature design is evident in each of the four pieces that comprise the collection, with baguette emeralds beautifully offsetting the pearls (there is also one piece featuring diamonds, in the spirit of Kalan’s signature Fireworks style).

The jewels made their in-person debut at the recent Couture jewelry show in Las Vegas, and a currently available on the designer’s website.

JCK had a few questions for the revered designer on her memorable collection and possible future with pearls.

Earrings in 18k yellow gold with 14.6 mm Tahitian pearls and 2.41 cts. t.w. emeralds, $20,000

We don’t often see you designing with pearls. What made this opportunity special? What do you enjoy about working with pearls?

I’ve wanted to work with Tahitian pearls for a long time but wanted to do it when I had time to launch something significant. In the last few years, there has definitely been a resurgence of black pearls in the market, so when I was approached by the CPAA at the beginning of this year (who had been given support from the government of French Polynesia to launch a collection) it seemed ideal timing. So many incredible jewelry designers have not worked with Tahitians or pearls before, so I was excited to be given this opportunity, especially by such a globally respected organization as the CPAA.

Ring in 18k yellow gold with 17.3 mm Tahitian pearl and 6.6 cts. t.w. emeralds, $36,000 (also pictured at top)

Tell us about your use of emerald in these pieces.

Although Tahitian pearls beautifully offset the sparkle of baguette diamonds, I also wanted to create something a bit different, hence adding emeralds into the collection.

Do you have any plans to do more with pearls for your own collections in the future?

I do indeed. I’m always collecting, planning, and designing. Timing is key, but I certainly have some exciting plans for a pearl collection.

Ring in 18k rose gold with Tahitian pearl and 2.51 cts. t.w. diamonds, $26,000

What would you tell retailers or customers about black pearls? What sets them apart from the traditional white, and why should stores stock them?

Due to the resurgence of black pearls in the market, if I were speaking to my retailers, I would highly recommend investing in them now, as the demand is there. To my customers, I would highlight how complementary Tahitian pearls are to wear with my Fireworks collections, especially those with white diamonds and emeralds, and what an investment they are, too, as they are timeless. Unlike traditional white pearls, there are many undertones of color in Tahitian pearls: blue, green, purple, and even pink.

Earrings in 18k yellow gold with 12.4 mm Tahitian pearls and 2.3 cts. t.w. emeralds, $14,000

What are customers searching for the holiday season? Share your advice for retailers as the season is upon us. ... "

https://www.jckonline.com/editorial-art ... earl-cpaa/
PinkDiamond
ISG Registered Gemologist

· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ ..·´ There are miracles left for you to do .... -:¦:- -:¦:-
-:¦:- ((¸¸.·´* It all begins inside of you. ;)