The Latest And Greatest With Pearl Master Mikimoto

Moderators: PinkDiamond, John

PinkDiamond

Post by PinkDiamond »

As always, these pieces from Mikimoto don't disappoint, and they look nothing like classic pearl jewelry. The only one I don't care for is the one with the silver chain attached to it, but I'm virtually (pun intended) swooning over the necklace in the 3rd pic with the sapphires and diamond bow. 8-)

October 14, 2020 by Brittany Siminitz

"My introduction to the jewelry industry (as a member of the sales team for a family-owned retailer) included a little bit of education on pearls. I didn’t learn all of the grading or a ton of the nitty-gritty on what made some pearls more valuable than others, but I did learn a thing or two at least on the perceived value of pearls—and Mikimoto was unquestionably at the top of that list.

A World of Creativity Splash earrings with pearls and diamonds, $19,000

One of my colleagues was a collector of pearls, amassing pieces from the 1910s to the current times, with some very impressive styles to her name. But her most treasured piece: a single strand of pearls with that signature Mikimoto clasp.

Ever since, I’ve been sort of in awe of Mikimoto, so it was the perfect opportunity to speak with a representative of the brand about the current state of the industry and the latest in the pearl category. Below, a chat with Kentaro Nishimura, chief operating officer of Mikimoto America.

Jeux de Rubans necklace with pearls, sapphires, and diamonds, $208,000

How has the pandemic changed the way Mikimoto does business? Have you seen a change in the demand for pearls? How about in the way you market them?

The global pandemic has caused Mikimoto to shift our focus to an even more digitally focused direct-to-consumer strategy, as our boutique locations were unable to be open for some time in the beginning of the pandemic. We have pivoted our brick-and-mortar strategy to cater to the limitations of shopping in person, offering one-on-one and virtual appointments to allow our customers to still have a personalized shopping experience. Fortunately, pearls are valued as investment pieces that are timeless, and we’ve seen continued strength of sales with our core offerings.

Necklace in sterling silver with cultured akoya pearls, $6,500; Mikimoto x Comme des Garçons

Pearls have been in the spotlight quite a bit lately, despite lockdowns. From Kamala Harris on the campaign trail to some of the looks from the virtual Emmy Awards, we’re seeing them worn in a variety of ways. What do you think are some of the most popular styles of pearls among consumers at the moment, and do you think that quarantine has had any impact on how (and if) pearls are worn?

We’ve been seeing pearls all over the virtual red carpets and campaign trails lately, which is very exciting for our brand. Pearls are a timeless staple, exude modern elegance, and we see that again and again in pop culture. We always see these classic pieces—simple studs, timeless pearl strands of varying lengths, etc.—with consumers, but we’re also seeing an influx in more contemporary pieces, including the pieces from our collaboration with Comme des Garçons and men coming in to purchase for themselves.

Jardin Mystérieux brooch with conch and cultured akoya pearls, price on request

Fusion necklace with black South sea pearl, cultured akoya pearls, and diamonds, $7,040

Pearls are notorious for being ... "

https://www.jckonline.com/editorial-article/mikimoto/
PinkDiamond
ISG Registered Gemologist

· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ ..·´ There are miracles left for you to do .... -:¦:- -:¦:-
-:¦:- ((¸¸.·´* It all begins inside of you. ;)