How Startup BriteCo Is Streamlining Jewelry Appraisals and Insurance

Moderators: PinkDiamond, John

PinkDiamond

Post by PinkDiamond »

Since the labs give certs, appraisals and insurance seems to best fit into this category so I'm putting this one here. What he says about insurance and appraisals is right on, if you ask me, and I like his solution. Hope you find this as interesting as I did. :)

May 2, 2019 by Emili Vesilind

"Dustin Lemick, a third-generation jeweler and gemologist based in Evanston, Ill., has done his fair share of appraisals and insurance-based replacements. The twin services once comprised a sizable slice of his business.

But at some point, his frustrations with the appraisal process, which he viewed as unnecessarily cumbersome for both jewelers and consumers, began to build.

“The appraisal process can be so manual,” he tells JCK. “And customers don’t know much about appraisals, so the policyholder ends up paying too much for insurance.”

The lack of transparency even led to the occasional nasty customer exchange. Lemick remembers a customer sent to his business by a major insurance company with a piece she wanted to replace. She felt she should get get the full value, but the replacement quote fell far short of that. “She was furious!” Lemick recalls. “She left us a bad Yelp review and the whole thing—and there was nothing we could do about what her insurance allowed for.”

The entire appraisal system, in Lemick’s estimation, was broken—or at the very least deeply ailing. And he felt compelled to fix it.

The BriteCo team, from left: cofounder and chief insurance officer Conor Redmond; founder and CEO Dustin Lemick; cofounder and chief technology officer Ben Mautner; cofounder and chief marketing officer John Ortbal

Partnering with veteran marketer Jon Ortbal, insurance expert Conor Redmond, and tech whiz Ben Mautner, Lemick founded BriteCo, a cloud-based appraisal management platform that allows jewelry retailers to offer customers a verified appraisal and insurance quote during the checkout process.

The coverage—through insurance carrier ... "

https://www.jckonline.com/editorial-art ... -334329457
PinkDiamond
ISG Registered Gemologist

· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ ..·´ There are miracles left for you to do .... -:¦:- -:¦:-
-:¦:- ((¸¸.·´* It all begins inside of you. ;)
SwordfishMining

Re: How Startup BriteCo Is Streamlining Jewelry Appraisals and Insurance

Post by SwordfishMining »

Opals art of patterns would not be amendable to this cookie cutter approach other than by broad strokes. The insurance business is one of the more lucrative ones from what I have seen and the devil is in the details of the policies. Automation has a place taking the profits out of capitalism for market share just like it looks at labor costs anywhere else. Nothing is constant but change especially in the divide between retail and replacement. The nimble will thrive and the not nimble will have a closet of buggy whips in their caboose parked on a side rail.
I'll jump over my shadow. https://www.virginvalleyopal.com"
Opals & more at my ESTY store https://swordfishmining.etsy.com"