Welcome to TheNaughtyNautilus Seaway of Fossil Ammonites

Moderators: PinkDiamond, John

PinkDiamond

Post by PinkDiamond »

This is an informative ad I found when I was perusing Rock and Gem today that I thought y'all might enjoy seeing and knowing about. It's got great shots of some awesome fossil specimens, and at the top you'll get to see pics with no link to embed that I can't show, that will show you the prices of some of these spectacular pieces. I'm lusting for the first one, and all I can say is WOW! 8-)

Take a peak under the ancient Pierre Shale Seaway and discover the many beautiful iridescent Ammonite Fossils & Minerals.

The "Elk Creek Collection" of Fossils & Minerals

"Ammonite fossils occur in large concretions in the 69-74 million-year-old Pierre Shale Formation on Elk Creek, South Dakota. The Specimens are often preserved with their very colorful and iridescent shell minerals still unaltered and intact. The rainbow colors of their shell make them one of the most desirable fossils in the world.

Golden Barite

Superb orthorhombic crystals of the mineral Barite occur in cavities in large septerian concretions in the ancient Seaway on Elk Creek. The Barite crystals can be yellow, amber, root beer or wine colored; are quite transparent; and are often implanted on yellow calcite and associated with ammonite fossils. Our Premium Golden Barite specimens can be found at the CollectorsEdge.com

Placenticeras meeki

Placenticeras meeki is the King of Ammonite fossils. These coiled and iridescent beauties grew up to to three feet in diameter. Using new preparation methods, we can now remove the specimen completely from the matrix and mount on a designer stand. The shell minerals calcite and aragonite, fluoresces and phosphoresces greenish-white under UV light.

Scaphites

Many smaller sized ammonite fossils from the Scaphite Family, Genus Hoploscaphites, occur on Elk Creek. These include nodosus, brevis, furnivali & quadrangularis. Most have the beautiful mother-of-pearl shell in reds, greens, & pastels. The shell minerals Calcite & Aragonite fluoresce under UV light. Jeletzkytes is now a junior subjective synonym (Landman et al., 2010).

Baculites

Seven distinct species of uncoiled Ammonite fossils , called Baculites occur on Elk Creek. They range in age from 69 to 74 million years old. They include; grandis, baculus, eliasi, jenseni, reesidei, cuneatus & compressus, are found in groupings, and often display both the mother-of-pearl minerals and suture patterns.

Sphenodiscus

The Genus Sphenodiscus, species lenticularis, is a beautiful Cephalopod with a smooth plain spiral, lenticular-shaped shell, with a narrow and acute outer venter edge. The minerals Calcite and Aragonite fluoresce and phosphoresce in the fossil shell.

Nautilus

... "

https://thenaughtynautilus.com/?utm_sou ... newsletter
PinkDiamond
ISG Registered Gemologist

· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ ..·´ There are miracles left for you to do .... -:¦:- -:¦:-
-:¦:- ((¸¸.·´* It all begins inside of you. ;)