Exploring Fossilized Shark Teeth

Moderators: PinkDiamond, John

PinkDiamond

Post by PinkDiamond »

Here's another one from Rock & Gem that's worth reading. I'm not really into shark teeth, so I was unaware of all the different types of teeth they can have, or the number of teeth they can go through in a lifetime, and all I can say after reading this is, Wow! :!:

March 12, 2019
Jim Brace-Thompson

A collection of fossilized shark teeth from various species.

"Shark teeth are fun fossils because (like dinosaurs) sharks are fearsomely fascinating and (unlike dinosaurs) their fossils are common. A shark may have as many as 50 teeth in a row, and behind them are six to 20 more rows, bent back and ready to spring forward as front teeth are shed. A single shark may shed 35,000 teeth over its lifespan! These are made of durable enamel, which aids in fossilization.

These two factors account for the abundance of fossil shark teeth. Fossil shark teeth come in varied colors, sizes, and shapes. Teeth of living sharks are white but, as they fossilize, they take on colors of minerals in sediments in which they’re buried and become tinted yellow-orange, tan, brown, gray or black. They vary in size depending on species. The largest, belonging to Carcharocles megalodon, can reach 7 inches. Most are under an inch.

Variation of Teeth Speaks to Species

A sizable shark tooth fossil.

Teeth also vary in shape. Different species have different types of teeth for different functions: flattened enamel for crushing crustaceans; pointed ... "

https://www.rockngem.com/exploring-foss ... tter031419
PinkDiamond
ISG Registered Gemologist

· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ ..·´ There are miracles left for you to do .... -:¦:- -:¦:-
-:¦:- ((¸¸.·´* It all begins inside of you. ;)