The New Wedding Rings by Gaelle Khouri Are Modern Marvels

Moderators: PinkDiamond, John

PinkDiamond

Post by PinkDiamond »

I guarantee you this is the weirdest wedding set you've ever seen, and it looks nothing like a wedding or engagement ring so it definitely won't appeal to everyone, being such a bold look; more like a cocktail ring than an engagement ring, so traditionalists won't give it a second look. That said, even if it's not your thing, what do you think of the overall design? I kind of like it; I just wouldn't wear it. :lol:

November 20, 2020 by Brittany Siminitz

"Even after nearly 10 years of seeing jewel after jewel, I’m so amazed (and utterly grateful) that I can still be blown away by a design. I mean, don’t get me wrong, it happens several times a day, but I remain in awe of it. And this piece in particular is notably stirring, one of those game changers that has me looking at an entire category differently.

In a first for her eponymous brand, designer Gaelle Khouri has introduced a set of wedding rings very much for seekers of an alternative fashion. Her matching set of engagement ring and wedding band is so wondrously special, and there’s a reason for that: It was designed for the jeweler, who recently got married herself.

The engagement ring is a geometric dance of baguette diamonds, with sharp, folded wings hugging around the finger as the ring makes use of negative space to decorate the skin. The sparkling package is fastened with a bow in the form of two diamonds—a yellow oval and brown pear-shape duo. It’s elegantly modern, but harks back to the 1920s just a bit with its angles and baguettes. Traditional brides may seek their forever ring elsewhere, yet the style is easily passable as a fashion piece by those who adore it but don’t wish to wed with it.

Wedding band in 18k yellow gold with yellow and white diamonds, price on request

A matching wedding band mimics the main ring’s essence, with yellow diamonds of varying shapes alternating with baguettes. One wouldn’t need to pair a band with such a grand engagement ring (it does the job of a wedding set itself), though I could see it worn in situations when the wearer either can’t (or doesn’t want to) show off the partner statement piece.

I was fortunate to get in a few questions with the Dubai-based Khouri, below.

The bride’s ring, pictured on her wedding day

Describe a little bit of your design process for these pieces. What made you want to do a wedding line? What kind of consumers do you envision going for this?

The pieces are very personal—there wasn’t any commercial drive behind them. I was getting married and my husband insisted on me designing a ring for myself. A solitaire ring is somewhat of a boring concept for me: It usually revolves around a beautifully shining diamond stone, and no matter how expensive or rare the stone is, it doesn’t appeal personally to me. I chose to work around it and go for something unusually edgy and different, making the eye notice the design before the stones.

The ring is a strong piece that cannot go unnoticed, but it is also a discreet piece in the sense that you wouldn’t instantly think of it as a wedding ring. I think that this type of design would appeal to nonmainstream consumers with a certain edge in their personality, looking for a valuable piece with character.

Do you intend to expand ... "

https://www.jckonline.com/editorial-art ... le-khouri/
PinkDiamond
ISG Registered Gemologist

· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ ..·´ There are miracles left for you to do .... -:¦:- -:¦:-
-:¦:- ((¸¸.·´* It all begins inside of you. ;)