Moderators: PinkDiamond, John

crazy8s

Re: Rare sights in the sky

Post by crazy8s »

:shock: Eye poppin beautiful :!:
Nili

Post by Nili »

Thught i'll add 2-3 photos .. i will say this i took them so sorry for the quelty
and i looove lightning :)

Taken at israel over my arya

'
31.Oct.09 niliberl.jpg

taken in kyoto japan this is an upword lightning
it primarily occurs when there is a nearby positive cloud-to-ground flash. The electric field change caused by the preceding flash causes an upward positive leader to initiate from a tall object such as a building, tower or wind turbine. It is the shape of the tall object and the resulting enhancement in the electrical field that makes it possible for an upward leader to form following a nearby flash

kyoto lightning.jpg.jpg
kyoto lightning.jpg.jpg (40.17 KiB) Viewed 1494 times

and last one is for Pink :)

27.2CG morning 6 am.jpg

injoy nature ther is so much to it from the powerfull volcano lightning to Supernumerary rainbow :) look it up i have seein one it is amazing and it's all around us .. well except for the volcanic lightning
PinkDiamond

Post by PinkDiamond »

Wow, Nili, your shots all look great, and of course I love the pink one. Thanks so much for sharing them with us! :)
PinkDiamond
ISG Registered Gemologist

· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ ..·´ There are miracles left for you to do .... -:¦:- -:¦:-
-:¦:- ((¸¸.·´* It all begins inside of you. ;)
PinkDiamond

'BLUE AURORAS'??!

Post by PinkDiamond »

Well here's a new one. Blue auroras? :?

Access the story via the link at the bottom for sub-links to more info.

RUSSIAN ROCKET SPARKS 'BLUE AURORAS': Around the Arctic Circle, people see green auroras almost every night. It's nothing to write home about. Blue auroras, on the other hand, are very unusual. That's why this photo taken last night by Lights over Lapland tour guide Oliver Wright in Abisko, Sweden, is so remarkable:

"It was totally blue," says Wright, a veteran guide who has witnessed hundreds of geomagnetic storms. "I've never seen anything quite like it!" In Tromso, Norway, Daniel Drelciuc saw it, too--"a big blue mass next to the classic green aurora," he says.

In auroras, blue is a sign of nitrogen. Energetic particles striking ionized molecular nitrogen (N2+) at very high altitudes can produce a cold azure glow, most often seen during intense geomagnetic storms. Last night, however, geomagnetic activity was not intense.

Maybe these weren't auroras--at least, not normal ones. Another theory is emerging for the blue apparition. On Oct. 26th, the Russian military staged a battle drill and test-launched a number of ballistic missiles from land, sea and air. At least one of them created a magnificent cloud of blue exhaust. Alexey Yakovlev photographed the display from Strezhevoy, Russia:

His photo looks so strange, you might think it is Photoshopped. It's real. A sequence of images on Yakovlev's Russian language social media page shows the cloud expanding naturally into the atmosphere.

The instigating missile may have been a Topol ICBM reportedly launched from the Plesetsk space center 800 km north of Moscow toward the Kura test range in Kamchatka. The flight path is about right for a sighting by Yakovlev. Moreover, when Russia test-launched the same type of missile last month, some sky watchers reported unusual clouds then, too.

Perhaps last night high altitude winds blew some of this blue exhaust west, visually mixing with geomagnetic auroras over Scandinavia. Wright notes that the blue and green lights were indeed moving independently, as if they came from different sources. "I'm leaning toward the rocket explanation," he says."

http://spaceweather.com/

*If you see this after they change their front page, you'll have to search for the story.*
PinkDiamond

Rockranger1

Post by Rockranger1 »

Pretty cool how these rockets leave such amazing trails. The blue looks awesome.
Rockranger1

Post by Rockranger1 »

Nice shots Nili!
SwordfishMining

Post by SwordfishMining »

I am addicted to taking pictures and leaving the bloat to the web. Its nice that there are so many better cameras out there to distract us.
I'll jump over my shadow. https://www.virginvalleyopal.com"
Opals & more at my ESTY store https://swordfishmining.etsy.com"
Nili

Post by Nili »

auroras are on my " wont " list of nature staff to see and photograph :) thows are amazing.
Thank you

Rockranger1 Thank you ,: lightning season just started here soo .. i wounder what nature got for me this year :) so far i have been hit by strong winds folowed by haill and got verrry wet.. But it is Fuuuuun :D
PinkDiamond

Post by PinkDiamond »

My goodness, we haven't used this thread in months! I've got something for you though, especially if you like auroras.

EARTH'S MAGNETIC FIELD IS RINGING LIKE A BELL:

"Today, a high speed solar wind stream is passing just south of Earth, making grazing contact with our planet's magnetic field. This is causing something unusual to happen. Around the poles, Earth's magnetic field has been ringing like a bell. Rob Stammes recorded the phenomenon from his magnetic observatory in Lofoton, Norway.

"Ths morning, the magnetic field around our observatory (as measured by ground currents) was swinging back an forth with a 100 second period," says Stammes. "This very stable oscillation went on for more than an hour."

This is quite different from what normally happens when a solar wind stream hits Earth's magnetic field. Here is an example of Stammes' recordings during a regular geomagnetic storm. Compared to the ... "

*If you don't view this today, the link will be changed by tomorrow and you'll have to search for it by the title of this post.
http://spaceweather.com/

Here are a few of my favorites of the aurora shots from around the world. :)

Tromso Norway, as are the next two

Churchill, Manitoba

This one just says Canada

I could go on but then they'd all be here :lol: , so here's the link to them all so you can see these breathtakingly beautiful dancing lights in the sky. Enjoy! :!:
http://spaceweathergallery.com/aurora_gallery.html

When I got to page 2 I found one more I just HAVE to show you, so I'm editing to add it. They call it a phoenix, but I see it as a dragon in the sky. Too cool!! 8-)

Iceland
PinkDiamond

SwordfishMining

Post by SwordfishMining »

Good thing we dont get those more around here or Id get even less done.
I'll jump over my shadow. https://www.virginvalleyopal.com"
Opals & more at my ESTY store https://swordfishmining.etsy.com"