Equipment.

Moderators: PinkDiamond, John

jakesrocks

Equipment.

Post by jakesrocks »

Could we please have a subject line created about the equipment we use ? A place where we could share information and suggestions about the various types of equipment we use in our hobbies / businesses ? Maybe even share ideas about rebuilding vintage equipment with modifications to suit modern types of wheels, etc ? I know that I'm not the only old timer who knows the older machines,and can share information about rebuilding and using The old relics which were built to outlast several generations.
opalcreations

Re: Equipment.

Post by opalcreations »

Hi there,
That's a great suggestion, and I'm not sure why I forgot to add that when I created the forum!

Sorry about that.

I'm going to get my butt in gear soon and reorganize this forum as per Pink's request and get things sorted out the way it should have been in the beginning, so please forgive me for not getting that done in a timely manner, and for sure I'll include a section for equipment.

I actually built all my own gear also, so a "home brew" section would probably be appropriate for all you creative self starter type guys who like to build your own stuff.

Thanks and God bless!!
Chris :)
jakesrocks

Post by jakesrocks »

Chris, if you add a home brew section, I can do a step by step on a 3 headed sphere machine that I've been building.
opalcreations

Post by opalcreations »

I've always wanted to build one of those!
Sounds great :)

Maybe I'll also add a "home brew" section for beer making....lol.
Chris :)
opalcreations

Post by opalcreations »

This is the cabbing machine I built several years ago, I still use it today, but it's much uglier now!!
:)

cabbing-machine-20sept-2010-1.jpg
jakesrocks

Post by jakesrocks »

Here's the sphere machine as it sits right now. Soon as I find time to finish the wiring, I'll take it for a test drive.

Brightlights

Post by Brightlights »

Oh-ah... I like the sphere machine. Is it hard to find motors?
Too many beautiful distractions... https://twitter.com/burningems
jakesrocks

Post by jakesrocks »

The motors used to be easy to find as surplus. Then along came the new Highland Park Co., and bought them all up for their sphere machines. Now you're lucky to find just one. Luckily, I bought a couple of spares when they were still available.

The motors were salvaged from old IBM copy machines.
opalcreations

Post by opalcreations »

That's an awesome looking machine!
Does it polish wet or dry?
If wet, where does the water in/out go??
I notice the electrical stuff is below on the tray, so I'm assuming it polishes dry?
Are those hinges the motor is attached with spring loaded to keep the tension on the stone being polished?
:)
jakesrocks

Post by jakesrocks »

Sphere machines are run wet. A container with water & grit will sit below the sphere, and a small endless chain draped over one cutter will carry grit & water to the sphere being ground. Almost all of the grit & mud will drip back into the tray.

The gray box with the condensers, power switch etc. is water tight. Also the main lead into the box, and the wires going to the motors exiting the box are run through a water tight fitting. The power switch is a military grade water tight switch. The connections to the motors will be covered with heat shrink tubing to make them water tight as well.

The hinges are spring loaded emergency door hinges. They weren't quite strong enough, so additional springs were added at the top. Here's a pic of the top springs. They were salvaged from an old drafting light.