Forum limitations

Moderators: PinkDiamond, John

jellystone

Forum limitations

Post by jellystone »

It occurs to me this might be a better spot than general chat to discuss formatting for the site. Also I have another suggestion. I believe you should open an opalholics and gemnists page on facebook, load it with gorgeous pictures, educational articles, and RELEVANT sales links ,as well as links to the forums, and make it visible to a few million people once set up, well actually a lot of million people. Way too many commas in that sentence...
PinkDiamond

Re: Forum limitations

Post by PinkDiamond »

That's a great idea jellystone, and it was a good idea to start a thread for this project, but I'm allergic to big social sites like FB and don't do them, as are quite a few others invited here, so feel free to give us a plug on FB and open that door if you would like to. I'm all for it, and the more, the merrier! ;)
PinkDiamond
ISG Registered Gemologist

· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ ..·´ There are miracles left for you to do .... -:¦:- -:¦:-
-:¦:- ((¸¸.·´* It all begins inside of you. ;)
opalcreations

Post by opalcreations »

There's just one problem, I refuse to do facebook :shock:
jellystone

Post by jellystone »

Frankly folks I don't understand your reticence. It's not that scary a place. Since those of you involved with the OA forum are transferring information and the more valuable bits and pieces, might it serve for now if I opened a page on FB and supplied you a link to upload files, pictures, and so forth? Of course if you have a reason for your antithesis I can disappear the idea. I know FB fairly well but haven't spent much time on the forums. If we proceed may not want to exactly duplicate the forum name. Any ideas for the page/ group name? How did I get myself into this? I guess I can blame it on the cat...
opalcreations

Post by opalcreations »

I created this forum to replace the forum that was gonna be deleted because it was moving to facebook, I kinda want to keep it in this forum format, but Pink, it's up to you :)

Also, there are some serious privacy issues with facebook, some far deeper reaching than most public realize.
jellystone

Post by jellystone »

FB is not designed for privacy, fer shore. But then neither are forums. Sharing of enthusiasms, ideas, knowledge or am I missing something? Any who, why not both/ Like a data backup and additional audience all at once. There aren't many gem groups on FB and it seems an ideal place to enlarge your audience. Also customer base. But no problemo amigos y amigas. Probably too much like working for a living anyway...MI<>ND
PinkDiamond

Post by PinkDiamond »

You're hilarious jellystone. Yup, the cat did it! :lol:

I get information all the time about FB and how it uses members' data, who it sells or gives it to, how they use facial recognition software on all the photos posted there and keep track of who's connected to who, and ultimately there's no such thing as privacy over there, as it always is when the public flocks to in such things in droves. I don't appreciate having every move tracked so servers can throw up distracting ads I'll never click thru to on every page I access, either, but that's inevitable online, and I don't trust FB as far as I can throw them; and I'm not alone. I know quite a few people who got fed up and don't bother with it anymore, and some wish they could remove all their data that's now being shared ad nauseum. :roll:

I would have kept life simple and just gone to FB and continued on with the other forum if I was into social sites, but about as social as I get is on these smaller forums. You can call me an old fuddy duddy if you think it fits, but that's how I've felt about them from the start, and if my own family can't persuade me to join, nobody can. :lol:

It's a great idea if anyone who does FB wants to spread the word that we're here though; just don't ask me to do it. ;)
PinkDiamond

KKHK

Post by KKHK »

Hey Jelly, whats your FB contact?

Yeah privacy is not something that can be expected on FB, but just like with credit-cards, as long as you know how to restrict yourself from doing stupid things and following all the others, its quite OK. Never understood why people post all those private things and then complain when it backfires.
jellystone

Post by jellystone »

https://www.facebook.com/groups/452793018235055/ Okay just to see how tough it would be I opened a group and invited one friend, Candy Bain. She in turn immediately added several more. Haven't had time even to figure out what it is about,lol. Site name is Opalholics and Gemstone Junkies Junction. Admittedly ungainly. My personal FB id is Jesse Robert Allen. Put a link to this forum at the top but the picture didn't come through. Don't know if any of you know Candy. Aussie gal used to sell on GR for awhile. When you start transferring data as you won't come to the mountain of misguidance I may come and beg to borrow some tidbits for transfer. Ought else I ought do thou ought not doubt to ask.
PinkDiamond

Post by PinkDiamond »

Kewl, jellystone! We're not against people posting about us over there and would love to meet Candy if she's interested in joining this merry band of opalholics. Thanks for the PR on FB!! :D
PinkDiamond