Application for reading forum with phone?

Moderators: PinkDiamond, John

gingerkid

Application for reading forum with phone?

Post by gingerkid »

Hi, Chris and Pink, some folks use phone applications for posting and reading forums, such as Tapatalk.

I am not sure if Tapatalk can be used to access phpBB forums, but if it can be used to access the forum, maybe have the forum available for Tapatalk?

Can anyone please share what phone app they use for accessing forums?
~ Jan ~

"...you gotta know your ABC's...
Always. Be. Cool." 8-)
- Boyd Crowder
opalcreations

Re: Application for reading forum with phone?

Post by opalcreations »

Hi all,
Well, I've been doing alot of reading about this tapatalk application, and I'm thinking it is not a good idea to install this on our forum.

Apparently the versions that are out there are only beta versions for this version of PHPbb, and there are alot of issues after installing this software. Of course there are people out there who are running this software flawlessly, but like all things, I try to weigh out the risk vs benefits, and it's looking a bit risky to me.
So much work has already gone into this forum by you Pink and everyone else, I would hate to have a problem that I may not be able to recover from.
I'm not a programmer, and am limited to what I can do in terms of actually modifying code and identifying code issues.

When I read the PHPbb support forum, there were a few warnings in bold red text, as well as reports from users that they were having issues.

This is from the PHP support forum:

Notice!
We do not recommend that a user of the phpBB software install this extension, or any other extension that is marked as “abandoned” or “in development”, on a live forum. Doing so may cause your forum to not perform in the manner it should.

Thank you,
The phpBB Extensions Team

And so was this:

WARNING: Extensions in this forum are not currently being supported nor updated by the original Extension author. Proceed at your own risk.

So, I think the wise thing to do at this point would be to pass on installing tapatalk, just to ere on the side of caution. I hope you all understand, and I apologize if this causes any inconvenience for any members, we want EVERYONE to have an enjoyable experience here, and be able to access the forum in the way that is most convenient for them, so once again, sorry if this causes you any issues accessing our forum.

I'll keep looking into it!
God bless!
Chris :)
gingerkid

Post by gingerkid »

Thanks for checking into it, Chris. :)
~ Jan ~

Always. Be. Cool." 8-)
- Boyd Crowder
gingerkid

Post by gingerkid »

I asked broseph82 about which phone app he uses to read forums. He does not use a phone app, but uses the Safari browser. So if anyone uses a phone app, such as Tapatalk, please try using Safari browser to read the forums instead.

Thank you, broseph82! :)
~ Jan ~

Always. Be. Cool." 8-)
- Boyd Crowder
opalcreations

Post by opalcreations »

Apparently, this version of PHPbb is formatted to be phone friendly, but I understand that these phone apps make it just "nicer" to view the forum.
gingerkid

Post by gingerkid »

Chris, yes it makes it much easier viewing forums on cell phones and tablets.

The member finds the forum's webaddress using Tapatalk, then signs in the first time with their forum username and password on their phone or tablet.

Then the member accesses Tapatalk app on their phone, selects which forum they would like to login, and signs in with their forum password.
~ Jan ~

Always. Be. Cool." 8-)
- Boyd Crowder