New Member from Hong Kong! (But French...)

Write a few lines about who you are and where your from here!

Moderators: PinkDiamond, John

SalvorHardin

New Member from Hong Kong! (But French...)

Post by SalvorHardin »

Hello everyone,

I'm a 28 years old iOS engineer living in Hong Kong for a year now. Recently picked up opal carving as a Hobby.
I've been into minerals and fossils/war remains since my young age, my hometown is Arras in north of France, place of many world war events... Dig there and you end up with bullets and other artefacts!

I'm still carving in my shower as my apartment is quite small, but relocating soon to a bigger place where I'll set up a desk! So far carved around 15 opals into various shapes and have ordered a lot of cheap equipment on Taobao. (If anyone needs guidance for ordering there there is great things at cheap prices! For instance my counterfeit but very able micro motor costed me 30$, and nova points of all kind are around 15 cents. Sintered diamond bits are around 4-5$)

Ok that's a messy introduction, I've never been good at that anyway, but I'm a genuine person! Happy to find a forum to spend some time while I'm at work :twisted:
Also happy to reconnect to a long time forlorn hobby!

Best,

Alexandre
PinkDiamond

Re: New Member from Hong Kong! (But French...)

Post by PinkDiamond »

Bon Jour Alexandre, and warmest welcome to the newest member of this happy band of opalholics. We have another member in Hong Kong who's from Germany, and another one we haven't seen for years who I believe is Russian.

I hope you'll show us some of your opals when you can, especially since the one other member who I know is cutting opals regularly is in Poland and has launched a business, so now he's too busy to stop by very often. Now we have you, a second member actively cutting opals, so I hope we'll get to see some of your opal eye candy to feed our addiction. Again, welcome to the forum, and if it's alright with you, since we shorten names we can either call you Alex, or SH, whichever you prefer. :)
PinkDiamond
ISG Registered Gemologist

· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ ..·´ There are miracles left for you to do .... -:¦:- -:¦:-
-:¦:- ((¸¸.·´* It all begins inside of you. ;)
SwordfishMining

Post by SwordfishMining »

Hiya! Welcome to the forum. I'd like to do some carving, but it seems my projects pile up a lot faster than completions. Currently I'm searching for my keys i may have lost out staking a claim yesterday. I hope they showed up in either of the two camps I was at for the day. Certainly not around here. Hope things work out for you there, like i hope they work out for us here. This state of affairs really is untenable for long term planning.
I'll jump over my shadow. https://www.virginvalleyopal.com"
Opals & more at my ESTY store https://swordfishmining.etsy.com"
SalvorHardin

Post by SalvorHardin »

Thanks for your welcoming words guys! Free to call me Alex! (Salvor Hardin is from Isaac Asimov Foundation cycle books!)

Ok I'll show some, I have a nice iphone holder with a little light and a turning presenter arriving from taobao next week to do clean shots, as all my attempt so far have been awful (Or maybe it's my low grade gray opal that are not good enought :p)

I know that too Swordfish... Have a lot of ongoing things! Hahahaha