Joining you from Tennessee

Write a few lines about who you are and where your from here!

Moderators: PinkDiamond, John

PinkDiamond

Re: Joining you from Tennessee

Post by PinkDiamond »

Gee, grannie, I don't know if it's diamond grit, but would think it's not for the price.

I haven't talked to gearloose in years either, Chris, but you're right; he's the nicest guy you'd ever want to meet, and very generous. I started out as Crystal Star on the other gem forums, and still am on them, and one day I got a message from Jon saying he had something he wanted to send me. It was a yellow CZ with a star cut into it he had just cut that morning, and he included a note with it saying that after he cut it, it dawned on him that it had to be mine, so he just sent it. :!:

He's the one who cut my Merelani mint garnet for me, and he did a test cut in a rose pattern in pink moissanite that he sent me, too. His laps last forever, and if there's a problem he takes care of it before you know it, so I have no problems referring people to him. :D

Chris, have you seen the Xinquing lap? It's a double lap so if you haven't seen it I can post it for you. :)

Oh, and saving money on equipment is always a big plus. I couldn't afford all the gemological equipment when I was taking my gemology courses, so I skipped on the polariscope, which was running around $500 at the time, and instead taped 2 pieces of polarized film in the crossed position, to the stage and the lens of my microscope so I could work between them with the conoscope, and it works great! I have more room to work than I would with a polariscope, and the best part is it cost me nothing. :mrgreen:
PinkDiamond
ISG Registered Gemologist

· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ ..·´ There are miracles left for you to do .... -:¦:- -:¦:-
-:¦:- ((¸¸.·´* It all begins inside of you. ;)
granniesgems

Post by granniesgems »

Thank you Christ. I've already been learning how awesome you all are. So much help for this beginner. I can't thank you all enough.

Pink, I think it probably is not. I couldn't find diamond so I will get the wet/dry and go for it. I thought it had to be diamond used, but am glad to learn it doesn't have to be. Certainly costs a lot less.

I love that you all know how to pinch pennies and be creative. I've always had to do that. Work up to the bigger stuff in any hobby or work I've done. Thank you all for all the tips. I had no idea, but I actually do have something here at my house I can use to do this work. I'm so excited!!!

Tonight my husband disappeared down to the basement for a while. I figured he was piddling in his shop, and he was. He came upstairs and said he had something to show me. He had set up a wheel on his lathe to show me how I could use it to do grinding/sanding/and polishing. He doesn't usually share his machines, but he's going to share his lathe with me. It's a really nice one and it has a pan for water and everything, because even certain metals he would work with get hot and need to be cooled. Will be getting sandpaper and diamond paste in the next few days and will get this all set up.

Thank you all again for the suggestions. Keep them coming. I may build some of these things anyway so I can have my own set up and not use his tools.
PinkDiamond

Post by PinkDiamond »

That's great that your hubby is willing to share his lathe with you, so tell him we give him 2 thumbs up. And I'm sure you're already doing this, but just in case you're not, make sure you always wear eye protection and a breather mask when you're cutting because silicosis is nothing to tangle with. ;)
PinkDiamond

granniesgems

Post by granniesgems »

Safety always comes first. I've been using both even as I used the rotary tool. My husband used to be a design engineer/supervisor in a manufacturing setting so he taught me all about safety. I was destined for this. LOL
opalcreations

Post by opalcreations »

I remember something about those Xinquing laps, but have since forgotten.
Upon searching online for Xinquing lap it actually came up with a link to a post from you Pink on the old forum...LOL.

I thought those laps were for faceting, refresh my memory. Don't they have a zinc flat part o them or something?

I hate to admit, but I'm addicted to buying the cheap fleabay Chinese 8" flat laps that don't last long, but that's because I'm always butchering my diamond electroplated laps with too much pressure and impatience, I don't even notice myself doing it...lol.

If you find that you really like using a flex shaft rotary tool after you do this for awhile, try if you can to bite the bullet and buy a Foredom tool.

I had buyer's remorse after buying mine, but after awhile I realized how much I was using and enjoying it, and not having problems such as snapping the flex cable in those cheap dremel tools multiple times.

Some people like micro motor hand pieces for carving, and some like a flex shaft tool like a Foredom, do your research and decide for yourself.

Chris :)
opalcreations

Post by opalcreations »

PinkDiamond wrote:That's great that your hubby is willing to share his lathe with you, so tell him we give him 2 thumbs up. And I'm sure you're already doing this, but just in case you're not, make sure you always wear eye protection and a breather mask when you're cutting because silicosis is nothing to tangle with. ;)

I just noticed this post after posting my last one, and I have to agree, be really careful if your dry polishing opals!
(or any gemstone for that matter)

I was dry polishing Welo opals for a couple years, and even though I had a respirator on and a suction fan taking the dust away, I still had a persistent cough for awhile, and was worried about silicosis which thankfully it was not, just good old black mold in my work area. :shock:
PinkDiamond

Post by PinkDiamond »

Flat laps are for cabbing too, but I think it's harder to get a smooth dome on a flat lap. I do have the accessory parts for faceting, but they're not complete so I haven't tried my hand at it yet. I thought when I got the lap that I'd be able to find a place to set it up permanently, but that didn't work out so it's all stored unless I want to cab an opal. I'm hoping someday I'll get the space to set up and the urge to get into faceting, and at least I've got almost everything I'll need for when I do. ;)

I'm so glad your husband knew to tell you to protect yourself and you're doing it, grannie. I've read too many stories about cutters who regretted not having worn them later. :?

Oh, and one more thing; don't lick your rocks, either. :lol:
PinkDiamond

granniesgems

Post by granniesgems »

Too late. :lol: Today I drank a rock. I had a glass of water on the patio table while I was working on the other side of the patio. Turns out the dust flew far enough to get into my drink. Yuck!!!

How awesome you have the cab machine for when you need it. I think it would be cool to facet, but I probably need to see if I can do the opals and the North Carolina rubies I have before I set my sights that high. Where do I go to see your work? I've been going through and looking at the work others have done. There sure are a lot of VERY talented people on this forum!!!
opalcreations

Post by opalcreations »

Get used to rocks and dust in uncomfortable places...LOL

Unfortunately, as opal is actually a form of silica, it has very similar properties as glass, and there has been a few times where a shard of opal has lodged in my skin, and I had to dig it out with a sharp instrument!

One time a couple years ago, I was taking an opal off a dop stick, and it shattered, and a piece went in my eye. Very unexpected. I had to drive myself with one eye closed at night to the hospital for them to dig it out, it really sucked!

Always wear eye protection when working with stones, even when you least expect it might bite you!

I'm glad your enjoying it here, yes, there are some very talented folks on this site who do beautiful work, we are blessed to have them here!

Chris :)
PinkDiamond

Post by PinkDiamond »

Yes, we are, but I'm afraid I'm not one of them. That's why you can't find my work; there is none! :lol:
PinkDiamond