Joining you from Tennessee

Write a few lines about who you are and where your from here!

Moderators: PinkDiamond, John

kjsspot

Re: Joining you from Tennessee

Post by kjsspot »

Nope, not my vials! ;)
~KJ~
Mysterious opals contain the wonders of the skies - sparkling rainbows, fireworks, and lightning, shifting and moving in their depths.
ETSY: http://www.etsy.com/shop/KJOFineArt
granniesgems

Post by granniesgems »

I'm sorry. I thought you had done them. Now I need to figure out who did them. I did go to your Web site and was thoroughly impressed by your work. You've set a very high bar.
granniesgems

Post by granniesgems »

Mystery solved. It was Mick. I was reading so much stuff. I got things mixed up.

Mick...thank you for the idea. Something simple for a beginner who is certain to mess up some opal, but can still use it for something special.
kjsspot

Post by kjsspot »

Yup! That sounds more like it. Although Swordfish has done vials as well but I don't think they're on this board.
~KJ~
Mysterious opals contain the wonders of the skies - sparkling rainbows, fireworks, and lightning, shifting and moving in their depths.
ETSY: http://www.etsy.com/shop/KJOFineArt
Brightlights

Post by Brightlights »

Hi ya granny!

Have your husband work in the shop for you... You can make a wood box, and an old plastic (like Tupperware) bowl with a motor and a shaft adapter. I think the adapter is 11$ on Kingsley north, or other similar lapidary spots online. You may even be able to find it in local hardware, but not sure. Anyways. That can adapt an old motor to drive a flat disc type lap and use that to start up your polishing and grinding. Cheaper than buying new, good for beginners... Search on google and YouTube for stuff like dyi lapidary, etc... They are out there. There is ANOTHER forum that has a while section of DYI, great reading material fit the hubby to make something for you.

( Pink, can we link outside? I'm still operating under old rules and not sure... I know the board out there with gemstone in it's url, had lots of diy style projects listed on it somewhere. )

Welcome!

Ps, you can also so opals by hand and with wet/dry sanding paper from an auto store or harbor freight tools.
Too many beautiful distractions... https://twitter.com/burningems
granniesgems

Post by granniesgems »

Hi Brightlights! Yes, I have him on it. He is going to look at some of the things I saved from online tonight. He is pretty handy with things like that and is excited to make me a flat lap. He really doesn't want me to convert his tools. I'm also thinking about checking with some places in my neighborhood that deal with tile (like the tile factory) and see if they use the diamond sand paper at their facilities. They will only use to a certain point then have to change. I thought maybe they could share some of their scrap or discards with me. I'm always looking to save a little money and since this is a new hobby for me I hate to spend a bunch of money in the event I find out I really stink at this. :lol:

I would love to know about additional sites where I can learn. So far, this one looks to be one of the best. I sure appreciate all your suggestions and I will be looking into these things further. Right now it is sooooooo slow using a rotary tool just to cut off the host rock. I'm getting really close though and will soon need to switch to a smaller thumb type vise for the smaller size of the rock holding the opal.

Where do you all get your sand paper? Also, when doing the dop stick, I know it's wax that is used, but is there a specific kind of wax or do most kinds work? I don't have any books or any kinds of guides. I've been looking here and researching online and watching Youtube videos. Not everything is explained completely for the newby. There is a club here, but I am not able to go to their meetings.
PinkDiamond

Post by PinkDiamond »

Yes, BL, you can post links to outside sites here except for that one mentioned in the forum rules. ;)

I use wet/dry sanding paper for autos, so I get it at AutoZone or the like. I think I got it up to 2500 grit, and after that I go to a 50K diamond stick made by a friend, gearloose. I also use his Xinquing lap. Check out his products, and his shop manager, Ignatius The Great. :lol:
http://gearloose.com/

And I use the regular old green dopping wax found at lapidary supply sites, but there are other methods, and some even use superglue.
PinkDiamond
ISG Registered Gemologist

· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ ..·´ There are miracles left for you to do .... -:¦:- -:¦:-
-:¦:- ((¸¸.·´* It all begins inside of you. ;)
granniesgems

Post by granniesgems »

Thank you so much Pink!!! I will check them out right now. And thank you for the tips on where to get sandpaper. I've just come in from working on removing more stone. Man does it take a long time when you're using a rotary tool. I'm figuring I must have a lot of patience to do such slow work and from what I've seen that is necessary to do a beautiful opal. Slow and steady. I'm so close to it now I can hardly stand it, but I don't want to rush. I already know there is a great risk of it breaking since it has the crazing on a part of it, but I have to pursue this. I will still use broken pieces for vials. Oh, I'm so excited!!! :D
granniesgems

Post by granniesgems »

Pink, I have a question for you. On the sandpaper you get at AutoZone. Is that a diamond grit? By the way, Ignatius the Great is adorable!!!

I am really getting close to getting the opal out of the host rock. I hope it doesn't shatter, but if it does, I won't be crushed. It is after all my first time. I will get whatever sandpaper it is that you use and I am going to get some diamond paste since I don't have a stick. I'm so excited I'm about to burst! I've got a feeling I will be this way with every single one.
opalcreations

Post by opalcreations »

I haven't spoken to gearloose for over 5 years, I highly recommend him also, he is a super nice guy, and very generous. I would not have the motor in my home built flat lap if it were not for him. I never forget kindness, and always are loyal to those who help along the way.

I didn't realize he was a friend of yours Pink, but that makes sense, you are both such good people :)

I could never afford the expensive gear starting out either Grannie, so I built my own also. If your technically inclined, it's a much cheaper way to get started, and there are a ton of very kind and helpful people out there on the internet who love to help people get started in lapidary.

Good luck with your endeavors, and don't hesitate to ask for advice here!
Chris :)