Joining you from Tennessee

Write a few lines about who you are and where your from here!

Moderators: PinkDiamond, John

granniesgems

Joining you from Tennessee

Post by granniesgems »

I am from Tennessee. I am very very new to this opal addiction. I just mined my first opals ever at the Spencer Opal Mine in Idaho. I am hooked. I've mined North Carolina rubies twice, done a little gold mining, and have visited the diamond mine in Arkansas and hope to go back before this year is up. I'm anxious to learn. I did some cutting away off host rock from an opal yesterday with a diamond wheel on a rotary tool yesterday and it went pretty good. I used one that wasn't quite so great of a find to practice on. Can't wait to do some of the others. They all have host rock I'll have to cut away. Fortunately I am patient and willing to take my time. I will thank you all in advance for all your help. I've read a lot of stuff here and on the former forum. I'm so addicted!!!
PinkDiamond

Re: Joining you from Tennessee

Post by PinkDiamond »

Welcome, grannie! We're here to help feed your addiction, so enjoy yourself and don't hesitate to ask any questions you might have. Did you find anything at the diamond mine? I'm in AR, went there with the ISG, but none of us found anything but tiny garnets that looked charred. :lol:
PinkDiamond
ISG Registered Gemologist

· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ ..·´ There are miracles left for you to do .... -:¦:- -:¦:-
-:¦:- ((¸¸.·´* It all begins inside of you. ;)
granniesgems

Post by granniesgems »

I didn't find anything either. It was my first time ever trying to mine something so I had no clue what I was doing. Also had my children with me, so it was a long time ago. I am now sort of retired temporarily and have a little more time to do this stuff. Hoping to have better luck when we return. My son lives in Fayetteville and we are planning a visit in the next couple of months so will have to swing over to the mine while we are there.

I am confident I will have a million questions. I don't have any real equipment like you should use for this and not sure if I will be able to find access to any, but my husband has an amazing shop with a grinder and such which I will convert. I haven't told him yet. :o :lol:
opalcreations

Post by opalcreations »

Welcome to our forum grannie!

Chris :)
granniesgems

Post by granniesgems »

Thank you Chris!
rizal

Post by rizal »

welcome grannie :)
SwordfishMining

Post by SwordfishMining »

Hiya, and I'd add; they are easiest to work with a flat lap.
I'll jump over my shadow. https://www.virginvalleyopal.com"
Opals & more at my ESTY store https://swordfishmining.etsy.com"
Lydia

Post by Lydia »

Hi Grannie,
Sounds like you've found the right group. We all have an addiction! Welcome.
kjsspot

Post by kjsspot »

Welcome!
~KJ~
Mysterious opals contain the wonders of the skies - sparkling rainbows, fireworks, and lightning, shifting and moving in their depths.
ETSY: http://www.etsy.com/shop/KJOFineArt
granniesgems

Post by granniesgems »

Thank you all for the kind welcomes. SwordfishMining, I sure wish I had a flat lap, but I'm just getting started and everything I looked up is a bit out of my price range. I've been working on a different opal today to remove the host rock surrounding it. I have done surprisingly well so far. Then the collet on my tool stripped and I had to stop. I will get another tomorrow. Again, it is one that if I mess it up I won't be totally sad. I'm actually expecting it to break because of the crazing on it. But again, that is fine.

It would be fine because I was inspired by KJ and the vials she did. I thought if it broke I would take the broken pieces and put them in a miniature vial and connect the vial to a pin that I will make with wire. I want to give my Mom something made with opal to wear when she starts her chemo treatments. I figured it would be an easy project even if it breaks. I plan to write an inspirational article about opal to go with it. I think my Mom will love it. Thanks for the inspiration KJ!!!