Mehoose checkin in...

Write a few lines about who you are and where your from here!

Moderators: PinkDiamond, John

mehoose

Mehoose checkin in...

Post by mehoose »

First of all, so so sad to read about the passing of jakesrocks Pink. Huge hug for you over the loss of a gem pal. xo

Me???? Long story short, my sanity saver over the past years has been testing and tech editing patterns for both knitwear and crochet designers(especially amigs)..ooooo they've taken over. ;) Not that I was great at keeping track of totals in the start but for items i did remember to record I've used in excess of 50 km's worth of yarn. :mrgreen:
Now that has branched out to making items for kids living in war affected areas as well as private orders being sent worldwide.

I haven't forgotten about my rocks(although I did forget the name of this forum, my computer died with all bookmarks and passwords so there's been a lot of searching in the empty space between the ears while using hubs laptop. :lol: )
I finally received a new facet machine which has been sidelined for the past year until I can find someone local to set it up correctly cos it's totally out of alignment (no I will never recommend this brand).
Dare I say things are looking up in that department, I might finally be getting my own workshop so I can get back in to things..damn I sure hope I haven't put the mozz on things by saying that! :shock:

If... and it's a big if... if I ever let the door open on jewellery again it will be on my terms, absolutely no commission work.
Only commissions will be for softies and shawls etc.

If all goes to plan I'll be spending my remaining years in zen mode working with gems both facet and cab, being a TE for designers(so editing patterns as opposed to making the items) with a sprinkling of jobs for others in the softies world oh and hopefully move closer to the kids.

DD1 leaves today to meet up with DD2 to share the long drive back home. Even though I won't see them for mothers day it's the best gift ever to know that DD2 is moving back. LOL, definitely say a prayer or two for them if you're into that a) it's a looooong drive and b) so they don't kill each other being in such close proximity for a couple of weeks. :lol:

I make no promises beyond trying to pop in more often. I truly have missed my gemmy friends and I feel like I need to relearn everything gem related.

okays.that's enough for now. xo
rocks2dust

Re: Mehoose checkin in...

Post by rocks2dust »

Hats off to you for turning that much yarn into knit and crocheted garments! I can barely tie my shoes, so that's beyond my ken. I grasp that you loop one string around another and somehow it is SUPPOSED to hold together, and that's about the depth of my knot-knowledge.

I've always been impressed with Viking weave designs using wire, but that too requires putting strands of metal over top of each other and having it somehow hold together :(

Glad you'll once again be near your daughters!
r2d

surplus odds and ends that I have on ebid.net
· Xtra gemstones
· Xcess fossils, minerals and rough
· Everything else
mehoose

Post by mehoose »

rocks2dust wrote:Glad you'll once again be near your daughters!

Oh absolutely with you on this one. There's been a few attempts to return, last time she stayed 3 months and somehow we ended up with her dog..so not quite what we'd hoped for. :lol: This time it feels different though, her choice without us nagging for her return so fingers crossed this time it's the real deal.

Ahhh yes, the stitches that are supposed to hold together..would you believe that nowadays some items are made with intentionally dropped sts..that took a bit for the head to get around. ;)

hang on..'ken'..is there a wee bit of Scots blood traveling in your blood stream?
mehoose

Post by mehoose »

Just seeing if I can work out how to share a pic or two from a site where I have a few pics... don't hold your breath....this make take a while :lol:

annnd I'm half way through making one of these guys...

and looks like I might be making 1 or 2 of these guys headed to different US addresses, they're not confirmed just yet. :P

What ya think?
crazy8s

Post by crazy8s »

Oh my. those are spectacular. Are the critters made with the help of a small machine? Good to see you. :D
mehoose

Post by mehoose »

Wellll, lemme see... guess my fingers are small and stocky for a female but that's a first for em to be called machines! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Ha, just realised all the items posted are crocheted! I've made knit softies as well and to be honest you can't get the same squish cuddle factor with crocheted softies but they sure have the cute factor.

Awesome to see you! Howz things with the nutty lady? :lol: :mrgreen:
SwordfishMining

Post by SwordfishMining »

Hiya again over here away from the chickens. Nice knittin. Hope they have a uneventful trip until they are back by your side. Kids can be such a worry. I think they made retirement so there was time to worry about the way your kids are raising their kids LOL
I'll jump over my shadow. https://www.virginvalleyopal.com"
Opals & more at my ESTY store https://swordfishmining.etsy.com"
PinkDiamond

Post by PinkDiamond »

LOL John, and r2d with your knotting skills, or rather, lack thereof. :lol:

I also love Viking knit, and do plan to try it when I get time and money for supplies. I'll have to let you know if I can figure out how to do it, but if you can braid, it's really just an intricate form or it so I'm hoping I can pull it off.

'hoose, your work is excellent! ... and they're just adorable! How long does it take on average to make one, and what are you selling them for? I can readily see why you get special orders, and the dress is spectacular! You're definitely multi-talented, and I can't wait to see your stones, especially when you get to faceting. :!:

I will definitely keep the girls in my prayers, and hope she decides to stay this time so y'all can be close again. It's wonderful to hear so much good news, and thanks for the thoughts about Don/jakesrocks. I got a call from his wife yesterday, and she told me she finally had him interred the day before, having put it off because the weather is so cold up there she didn't want people to have to stand out in it for the burial, and she said she's doing well, so that's a relief. He may be gone, but he's not forgotten. ;)

I'm tickled to hear all your good news, and delighted that you'll be popping in more often. Welcome back! :D
PinkDiamond
ISG Registered Gemologist

· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ ..·´ There are miracles left for you to do .... -:¦:- -:¦:-
-:¦:- ((¸¸.·´* It all begins inside of you. ;)
mehoose

Post by mehoose »

LOL John, crochet man...crochet! ;) Yep, you might do the high 5 when they leave home but the worry factor increases so much more.. you can't pop your head in the room to make sure they made it home safely etc etc.
mehoose

Post by mehoose »

oh cheers Pink! :P xo

oh heavens, I'm quite slow with crocheted amigs(Amigurumi(or as we call them softies)) because it's at a super tight tension. I did time one item once which was a lovey(head and arms of a softie attached to a crocheted square, an upmarket security blanket), that took a total of 22 hours and 35 minutes.
Sooo Nessie, the first pic, she took me 3 weeks working on that alone during a test and is about $150 plus postage(these are Aussie dollars), the Pug Dog is a smidge more and the dragon, which will take me over 70 hours is about $175. The smaller amigs are from about $45 upwards.
For sending large items OS(like the dragon), I work them in teensy threads to try to keep postage down. I actually have to take Nessie down to find out the postage for something her size before I give it to DD2 as her welcome home prezzie.

LOL a cabbed opal would be so much quicker with a better price tag but hey, I'm enjoying myself. ;)

Oh and Pink, that ain't a dress! Yes it's on a dress form but it should give you a clue on the size of the shawl. The client is 6 ft in heels and likes em big.
Actually there should be yarn heading my way from the US as we speak because she just ordered another one, different design of course but with even more yardage. :shock:

i think I'll have to send smelling salts to y'all when I do start posting gem pics..I'll keep enough for myself as well. :lol: :lol: