Bonnie Betz

Write a few lines about who you are and where your from here!

Moderators: PinkDiamond, John

bonnie

Bonnie Betz

Post by bonnie »

Hi everyone:
Just wanted to introduce myself as I finally am getting involved with the forum. My name is Bonnie Betz and I am a Registered Gemologist/Appraiser as well as an Accredited Jewelry Professional.
I own Bonnie Betz Gems & Jewelry, LLC and the Mid-Atlantic Gemological Laboratory & Appraisals. Both businesses are devoted to the science of gemology and I do gem identification, gem appraisals, jewelry appraisals and I work closely with other organizations in the industry.
I also am the Site Administrator and Principal Contributor for the World Gem Society website, which is devoted to providing continuing education for gemologists and students of independent schools teaching gemology and appraisals. I think anyone looking into the site might enjoy the wealth of information and data presented on the site. It is a membership site, but the membership is relatively reasonable and offers a lot for the cost to the member.
I previously worked in the IT industry for about 41+ years and I also hold an Electrical Engineering (EE) degree and have done design engineering both hardware and software, so I have also b een able to mold my business along with both gemology and IT to create a unique business. I am really happy to be a part of this forum as I have spent almost 25 years in gemology, first as a hobbyist and now as a business person and I hope to learn from you all as well as maybe provide some feedback that you might find useful. Thanks again.

Regards,

Bonnie Betz, EE, AJP, RG, RGA
Mid-Atlantic Gemological Lab & Appraisals
:)
rocks2dust

Re: Bonnie Betz

Post by rocks2dust »

Howdy and welcome!
r2d

surplus odds and ends that I have on ebid.net
· Xtra gemstones
· Xcess fossils, minerals and rough
· Everything else
PinkDiamond

Post by PinkDiamond »

I'm delighted that you're going to make time to participate on the forum, Bonnie, and your introduction was lovely, and very informative, so I hope members who want gems identified, verified or appraised will remember that you offer such services, and take advantage of having someone they know right here who can assist them.

Also, in addition to all Bonnie listed in her intro, she is also the angel who figured out why our notifications weren't going out, and fixed the problem that had plagued us for over a year, so we have her to thank for them going out again, despite all she has on her plate.

We look forward to getting to know you better, and having your input and insights available right here. :)
PinkDiamond
ISG Registered Gemologist

· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ ..·´ There are miracles left for you to do .... -:¦:- -:¦:-
-:¦:- ((¸¸.·´* It all begins inside of you. ;)
OpalSpectrum

Post by OpalSpectrum »

Welcome Bonnie and thanks :)

>>> Firmitas Utilitas Venustas <<<
bonnie

Post by bonnie »

The Mid-Atlantic Gemological Laboratory is at the service of members of this forum. You can email me or visit the website at http://www.easternpa-gemologist-appraisals.com
You can also contact me through the World Gem Society at http://www.worldgemsociety.org and look under the About Us area and find the Contact Form. I will reply back to any of the above and as I stated earlier I can do gem identification, gem research, gem appraisals, jewelry appraisals.

Bonnie Betz
SwordfishMining

Post by SwordfishMining »

Hiya Bonnie and welcome. Since you are in the appraisal business, can you refer me to paleontologist used for identification and accepted as an expert, not a hobbyist? We have some precious black opal fossils that need an experts opinion to be accepted then bought. AND also we cant find any replacement insurance to trust they not be destroyed in "testing" or "lost in transit" to be let out of our direct sight without us having to take all the risk. These offers are for 5 and 6 figures and we need to keep the object intact. The wet dry thing just is not understood by noobs. I say this because we ARE collectors that take care to not let the specimens degrade any by attempted drying or poor care in preparation for display. Lack of ANY surface cracks at all makes them much more valuable as does not having any broken surfaces.
I'll jump over my shadow. https://www.virginvalleyopal.com"
Opals & more at my ESTY store https://swordfishmining.etsy.com"
bonnie

Post by bonnie »

Hi:
This is sort of out of my league, but I did hear that one of the foremost leading paleontologists around is Jenni Brammall at Lightning Ridge, New South Wales Australia. I believe she is at the University of New South Wales and is the leading expert on fossilized opal. Other than that in my area I would go probably to the University of Pennsylvania and ask around or the Smithsonian and ask. In this part of the U.S. we don't see anything like what you are mentioning. Hope this helps, but you just got my entire knowledge base of opal fossils.

Regards,

Bonnie
crazy8s

Post by crazy8s »

Glad you joined us Bonnie :!: 8-)
SwordfishMining

Post by SwordfishMining »

Thanks for trying. They are Miocene animals. My daughter was actually at UC Berkeley yesterday in person and could not get thru the secretary wall of we don't do that for people or who you want is not in contact before who she was with drug her away for their schedules. I guess we are wrong they appreciate contributors to their collection and want to grow the section. We are not supposed to sell what had a backbone and its in the way of mining. Like all the dinosaurs that get ground up in coal, we must not rate high.
I'll jump over my shadow. https://www.virginvalleyopal.com"
Opals & more at my ESTY store https://swordfishmining.etsy.com"
bonnie

Post by bonnie »

Hi:
I am so sorry to hear of the "stone walling" by people working for so-called higher institutions of learning. They should be ecstatic over what you have, such a shame. I still would reach out to the lady in Australia as fossils and opals seem to be something they are proud of having. Just my thoughts and again, Good Luck on your endeavors.

Regards,

Bonnie Betz