Hello from the Pacific Northwest!

Write a few lines about who you are and where your from here!

Moderators: PinkDiamond, John

mateo4x

Hello from the Pacific Northwest!

Post by mateo4x »

I am a long time lover of opals, rocks and all that shines but have only recently started working stones and minerals in to jewelry.

Last summer I got access to an Oregon Fire Opal (non-precious cousin to the fancy stuff) claim and came away with tons of beautiful rough. Colors range from clear to yellow, from firey orange to blood red, some chocolate and some black (we think the black is called chert?).

Since, I have acquired a Crown lapidary machine, as my home baked machine wasn't quite good enough, and began cutting and cabbing away. I began working in brass so I could learn a bit with something cheap, and now work in reclaimed silver.

I can guarantee I will have tons of silly questions and bizarre ideas so...be gentle!

-Matthew
Oregon, USA
PinkDiamond

Re: Hello from the Pacific Northwest!

Post by PinkDiamond »

LOL! I'll have to crack the whip if they get out of hand Matthew, but they're pretty friendly and I haven't received any reports of newbies getting bitten so far. :lol:

We've all been there starting at square one and learning the basics, and I'm pretty sure I've already asked all the dumb questions so have no fear; if we can help you we'll be more than happy to. We love it when new opalholics find us, and we'll be looking forward to your input and seeing some of the beauties that you cut. Warmest welcome to the forum. We're glad to have you join us. :)
PinkDiamond
ISG Registered Gemologist

· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ ..·´ There are miracles left for you to do .... -:¦:- -:¦:-
-:¦:- ((¸¸.·´* It all begins inside of you. ;)
SwordfishMining

Re: Hello from the Pacific Northwest!

Post by SwordfishMining »

Hiya Matthew & Welcome. I've had opportunity to also mine Oregon fire opal & it work. Hard rock mining like sunstones. Its is fun to work. A lot tougher than Virgin Valley precious opal. Some people are tryig to stop using the semi-precious term for anything made into jewellery like opal miners now have stopped using term noble for dim play of color, but the term sun opal is used still. It's all about the stone. Ask away.
I'll jump over my shadow. https://www.virginvalleyopal.com"
Opals & more at my ESTY store https://swordfishmining.etsy.com"