Royal Albatross Chick Atawhai Fledges!

Discussion and pictures of your favorite critters!

Moderators: PinkDiamond, John

PinkDiamond

Royal Albatross Chick Atawhai Fledges!

Post by PinkDiamond »

I have been watching this Royal albatross since she emerged from the egg, for at least 6 months now, and I got some screenshots of her 3 days ago catching the wind under her wings and lifting off the ground, only to be hit by a cross wind that tipped her to one side that must have scared her and she went back down to the ground. She even rose so beautifully and headed out across the water that I thought that was the last I'd see of her, but less than 10 minutes later she returned and gracefully landed on the ground where she rested for a while. Then yesterday she got over her fear of the wind tipping her over, and fledged successfully. I wish I could show you the screenshots, but the files are too large and they won't upload here, so I waited until today when they posted a video of her just prior to actually fledging, where you can see how she struggles with the winds. Too cute! :D

After 6 months or more of watching her daily, I will surely miss little Atawhai, who's now pushing 20 pounds, and with a wing span of over 8 feet she's really quite the beauty. 8-)
PinkDiamond
ISG Registered Gemologist

· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ ..·´ There are miracles left for you to do .... -:¦:- -:¦:-
-:¦:- ((¸¸.·´* It all begins inside of you. ;)