10 Outrageous Ways Birds Dance to Impress Their Mates

Discussion and pictures of your favorite critters!

Moderators: PinkDiamond, John

PinkDiamond

Post by PinkDiamond »

From Audubon, I just love the Laysan albatrosses, as I've told you many times, and they have a short clip of them doing the albatross dance, and 9 other short clips of various methods birds use in courtship that I think you'll get a kick out of. The best dancer to me is the Red-capped Manakin, the Michael Jackson of birds, but they're all amazing in their dances and displays, so I hope you enjoy these as much as I did. I tell you, I laughed the whole time the manakin was doing his moonwalking, and you won't believe the view the female Costa hummingbird gets when the male does his display, and the blue-footed boobie in its blue suede shoes is a hoot. Crazy! Image

I'll cut this off at the Sandhill Cranes so use the link to access sub-links and the other videos. Enjoy! :)

Nature has way better moves than the Funky Chicken.

"Some people are simply born to dance—and the same goes for birds. Many species, once grown, find themselves overcome with a primal urge to bust a move.

Some male birds gather in leks, not unlike nightclubs, to dance in a group and invite curiosity from nearby females. Others perform feats of strength and endurance to prove their value. And in some species, males and females dance together to form a pair bond while putting on a show.

Without further ado, here we present a sampling of the best bird mating dances out there. Watch, learn, and maybe even take a few notes.

Laysan Albatross

At around three years old, young Laysan Albatross return to their birthplace to start learning the ways of courtship. Deep in their bones they know the dance moves needed to woo a mate, but they haven’t yet developed their talent. At first, young birds gather in small groups to practice. As the years go on, those groups grow smaller, until finally the confident birds are ready for their big finale: a partnered dance. A new Laysan Albatross pair works hard to perfect their dance, combining stock moves like the “sky snap,” “rapid bill clapper,” and “bob strut” into a sequence unique to that couple. Only then will the birds lay their first egg, typically at age eight or nine.

Red-capped Manakin

In Central American forests, male Red-capped Manakins keep their wings tucked and heads down to draw a female’s gaze to their brilliant yellow thighs—and fancy footwork. The birds slide and glide along a branch as if living in a frictionless world, hopping and pivoting to change direction, all to catch the eye of a female with exceptionally high standards. Their pièce de résistance? A moonwalk that rivals Michael Jackson's.

Magnificent Riflebird

The Magnificent Riflebird, one of about 40 bird-of-paradise species, isn’t afraid to let loose on the . . . tree branch. He stretches his elegant black wings and then dramatically whips his head from side to side to display his blue iridescent throat. But don’t think that he wants to dance with the object of his affection; no, if a female approaches, he will continue dancing on his own, flicking his wings more strenuously while hopping toward her. Then, the choice is hers: to copulate with him and then raise the brood by herself, or wait for a better show.

The Magnificent Riflebird isn't the only bird-of-paradise with exceptional dance skills. Take a gander at the Vogelkop Superb Bird-of-Paradise sliding around with a bright blue frown.

Costa’s Hummingbird

A male Costa’s Hummingbird is better named Squidface. He begins flirting by swooping and diving over his perched crush, and twists his body acrobatically in the air. That takes a lot of energy and strength—but it’s not enough to impress her. Then, he flexes muscles in his face, and his gleaming magenta feathers flare out. When the sun’s rays hit them at just the right angle (from the female’s perspective), he hardly looks like a bird, and more like a Cthulhu with wings.

Blue-footed Booby

At first, you might mistake the male Blue-footed Booby for a demure romantic. He begins his dance by shyly drawing attention to his feet. He might also give the object of his affection a bow, or tickle her with his beak. But then, once both are warmed up, he brings out the big guns: He rotates his shoulders so his stretched long, dark wings frame his face, all while stepping delicately to remind her about those sexy blue feet. If he’s lucky, she’ll slow step right along.

Western and Clark's Grebes

If you’re looking for elegance in the bird world, you can’t do much better than Western or Clark's Grebes. In both closely related species, courtship begins with one bird mirroring the other’s movements, twisting and bowing their long necks behind them. And then, when the moment is right, they take the leap: Like ballerinas wearing pointe shoes, they rise fully out of the water, running side by side on the water’s surface with their wings stretched behind them. Their dance is both a feat of strength and a transcendent spectacle. (You can see examples of both species in the video shown here.)

If you prefer tango to ballet (or even if you don't like either), definitely also check out the bonkers mating display of the Hooded Grebe.

Sandhill Crane

... "

https://www.audubon.org/news/10-outrage ... id=2554001
PinkDiamond
ISG Registered Gemologist

· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ ..·´ There are miracles left for you to do .... -:¦:- -:¦:-
-:¦:- ((¸¸.·´* It all begins inside of you. ;)
crazy8s

Re: 10 Outrageous Ways Birds Dance to Impress Their Mates

Post by crazy8s »

Thanks Pink that was great. 8-)
rocks2dust

Post by rocks2dust »

I enjoyed that, also. We have the Sage Grouse, and used to be not uncommon to hear them out in their leks/dancing circles. They've been disappearing fast, however, due to overgrazing, development, oil exploration, development of land for agriculture (with associated pesticides and herbicides), etc. There are less than half as many Sage Grouse out there as there were even 20 years ago. Birds in general are disappearing fast and Rachel Carson's "Silent Spring" seems to be fast approaching. I've noticed even the more common birds that visit my feeders are fewer each year. Cat haters want to blame it all on cats, but that's hardly a convincing explanation - blame falls squarely on those 2-footed animals that have been causing mass extinctions globally for the past 200+ years.
r2d

surplus odds and ends that I have on ebid.net
· Xtra gemstones
· Xcess fossils, minerals and rough
· Everything else
SwordfishMining

Post by SwordfishMining »

Thanks for sharing those. I'm glad the Audubon Society put together money and made a reserve out of Virgin Valley getting the entire NWR thing going when Roosevelt was hunting pronghorns back in the nineteen twenties before they went extinct. Ill slow down to watch some of the locals when I see them. Others are just constantly at it and work around any bipeds in their areas.
I'll jump over my shadow. https://www.virginvalleyopal.com"
Opals & more at my ESTY store https://swordfishmining.etsy.com"