10 inch slab saw build.

Post offers to buy or sell used or new lapidary equipment here

Moderators: PinkDiamond, John

Rockranger

10 inch slab saw build.

Post by Rockranger »

Got most of my parts that I wanted from a Covington self build. The Covington kit came with only the table top, arbor and bearing plus splash guards, the rest is going to be my doing. Motor from an old saw I have, plus pulleys and blade that I still need to remove in pic.
This is the equipment I plan on building it with, except the plastic half inch board that's not in the pic, same stuff I used on my miller table build, I'll be using for my water holding tank and base.
Pretty sure I started this thread at OA? Continue it here. :)

Rockranger

Re: 10 inch slab saw build.

Post by Rockranger »

Just a little bit behind but I managed to get step 2 done. The four sides are cut and fastened together. A hole was drilled in the back and I inserted a half inch pipe for draining the slurry from the holding tank and it should work also for recycling water back to my bucket when I use the circulating pump. It fit good together but dont go by there measurements sent with the supplies. They were way off after measuring the table top itself??? Arbor hole drilled and spins great. One other problem I noticed was the blade slot wasnt cut straight so its going to need a little filing at one end.
Step 3 yet to come. Have to sand down the joints then caulk and cut out the base for the bottom, a clean up then paint. Get my motor mounted and the water feed hooked up. Drill a couple more drain holes in the saw top and figure out how I want to mount my linear slide.
Not done yet, but thought I should keep you all posted where I am standing after mentioning it above.

Last edited by Rockranger on Sat Jul 25, 2015 4:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PinkDiamond

Post by PinkDiamond »

Nice going! That's going to be awesome when you get it working. :!:
PinkDiamond
ISG Registered Gemologist

· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ ..·´ There are miracles left for you to do .... -:¦:- -:¦:-
-:¦:- ((¸¸.·´* It all begins inside of you. ;)
Rockranger

Post by Rockranger »

I hope so. Thank you.
opalcreations

Post by opalcreations »

Kewl saw Rockranger!
I'm still working with my converted tile saw...lol.
:)
Rockranger

Post by Rockranger »

Thanks OC! I have converted tile saw also I use as my slab saw. :D

Had a short window of opportunity before the rain started up and was able to complete my sanding and caulking of the inside joints and brackets. Skip the paint, looks good enough without it? Plus your able to see the inside of the holding tank.
Thats all for now.

opalcreations

Post by opalcreations »

I had a holding tank with a pump before, but it got clogged very quickly whenever I cut any larger stones or a high volume of stones. For cutting opal it was great, but for the rest it clogged up fast. It was terrible when cutting boulder material!
The problem is that when you don't have a reservoir, you can't really add lubricant to recirculate on the blade.
Great job on the saw!
Chris :)