Gold-mining scheme a threat to eastern Idaho

Moderators: PinkDiamond, John

PinkDiamond

Post by PinkDiamond »

Whoa! Did you know that foreign companies don’t have to pay royalties to the American people for the riches they haul away, while the American people are responsible for cleaning up the mess they leave?! What's wrong with this picture??? :o

By TONY HUEGEL | Guest columnist Mar 31, 2020

"The Canadian mining firm Excellon Resources announced recently that it is acquiring Otis Gold Corp., also of Canada, thus bolstering their risky scheme to use cyanide-based gold mining in the Centennial Mountains in Clark County, a headwaters region of the eastern Snake River Plain aquifer.

Tony Huegel

The objective: To mine low-grade gold ore by destroying a part of the Centennials, while imperiling the quality of water that is the lifeblood of eastern Idaho.

“Destroying” sounds alarmist, but it is accurate, for, in the business of open-pit, cyanide heap-leach gold mining, there is no other way.

Initiated by Otis Gold, the Kilgore Project, as it’s called, is in Caribou-Targhee National Forest a few miles northwest of the Clark County village of Kilgore. With fewer than 900 residents, Clark is Idaho’s least-populated county. Unemployment is officially pegged at 2.6%. The mountains of the project area rise east of I-15, southwest of West Camas Creek and north of Idmon Road.

The project area is popular for RV camping, ATV riding, hunting and hiking. It is bear country and home to Yellowstone cutthroat trout, which state and federal agencies list as a species of special concern. As creeks flow southward from the area, they merge into Camas Creek, one of four small rivers that help recharge the aquifer.

No mine has been proposed yet to the U.S. Forest Service. But a 12,000-acre operation is being aggressively pitched to investors.

The lure: For starters, a projected 825,000 ounces of gold, mined using the same cyanide heap-leaching process that voters in Montana — about seven miles to the north — banned at new mines in 1998.

There is gold here, although some geologists say that Otis and Excellon exaggerate the lode. Critics say it is low-grade ore, so massive quantities would need to be excavated, crushed and leached with a cyanide solution to chemically extract what gold there is.

One fear is that contaminants from the process will inevitably migrate into the region’s water.

Excellon Resources says the Kilgore Project is just the beginning. “Kilgore — Significant Room to Grow” the company proclaims in a presentation.

Importantly, Craig T. Lindsay, previously Otis Gold’s president and CEO, once told an interviewer, “There’s no royalties on it.”

Under America’s 1872 General Mining Act — which still governs mining on federal lands — even foreign companies don’t have to pay royalties to the American people for the riches they haul away. Yet we are responsible in the long term for the damage.

Excellon speaks of Kilgore as “the next Round Mountain.” This refers to a gold mine, owned by Canada’s Kinross Gold, some 50 miles north of Tonopah, in the Nevada desert. Its pit is 1,600 acres, the equivalent of about 1,200 football fields.

Round Mountain Mine, however, ... "

https://www.postregister.com/opinion/gu ... 37b50.html
PinkDiamond
ISG Registered Gemologist

· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ ..·´ There are miracles left for you to do .... -:¦:- -:¦:-
-:¦:- ((¸¸.·´* It all begins inside of you. ;)
SwordfishMining

Re: Gold-mining scheme a threat to eastern Idaho

Post by SwordfishMining »

You didnt know this is the mining law of 1872? No royalties is in exchange for all the prospectors lives, mine developers failures & actual capital investments as incentive to even bother looking for useful minerals. This creates wealth that was not there before. The fees start before a pick hits the ground. Taxes are on everything used and every penny of payroll. Reclamation bonds have to cover the entire cleanup and restoration of the land. And all profits are taxed. Where are they getting this free again? The politicians have to realize they are a tick, not a muscle and the fable of killing the golden goose is a example of the results. Capital is not a animal you can hunt and trap and milk for ever. You have to risk all trying to capture it and deserve the rewards. The mining of minerals is the basis of all wealth and if you want to live in a beggar country, drive the miners away.
I'll jump over my shadow. https://www.virginvalleyopal.com"
Opals & more at my ESTY store https://swordfishmining.etsy.com"
SwordfishMining

Re: Gold-mining scheme a threat to eastern Idaho

Post by SwordfishMining »

PS, that being said, the robber barons are the reason for the anti monopoly laws. Power corrupts absolutely and has nothing else to do but stay in power for a job. Humans have been trading off the environment to live better since time began and it really is darling we want to stop all the unpleasant effects of civilization, yet keep all the advantages. The Canadians are like pirates swooping in to find mineral deposits, but remember they have to mine and sell it here. This is how life works and easier to solve problems are at the ballot box that CAN control the foreign interests if our politicians write it up.
I'll jump over my shadow. https://www.virginvalleyopal.com"
Opals & more at my ESTY store https://swordfishmining.etsy.com"