GEOLOGY 101: Columnar Basalt

Moderators: PinkDiamond, John

PinkDiamond

Post by PinkDiamond »

We don't have a section on geology so I'm putting this one from Rock and Gem in minerals. Here's everything you wanted to know about columnar basalt. :)

By Admin -
December 11, 2020
By Jim Brace-Thompson

"A distinctive volcanic structure found throughout the world has been given fanciful names: “Organ Pipes” in Namibia and Victoria, Australia; “Kilt Rock” and “Samson’s Ribs” in Scotland; “Giant’s Causeway” in Northern Ireland; “Thunderstruck Rocks” in Romania; “Devils Tower” in Wyoming and “Paul Bunyan’s Woodpile” in Utah, USA; the “Baigong Pipes” in China; and the “Cliff of Stone Plates” in Vietnam. High-resolution satellite images have even shown similar as-yet-unnamed structures on Mars.

What is the distinctive structure all these have in common? They often are composed of basaltic lava flows that cooled to form “columnar basalt.” Columnar basalt exhibits massive, vertically standing columns. Although usually hexagonal (six-sided), such columns are polygonal (multi-sided) and may have anywhere from three to 12 sides. They are often so uniform in size and shape that they seem to have been artificially constructed, like giant columns of poured concrete. But these columns most definitely were not crafted by the hands of humans!

Rather, they are natural formations resulting from the cooling of thick outpourings of lava. Under certain conditions, lava contracts as it cools.

Products of Lava Cooling
Looking up at Devils Postpile in eastern California.

This occurrence is particularly so when cooling rates are fairly uniform. In such conditions, lava cracks and fractures. Cracks along the cooling surface get propagated downward, resulting in the long, well-defined columns known as columnar basalt. Rapid cooling is believed to create columns with small diameters, whereas slow cooling creates much wider columns. Some believe water (from rain, lakes, or oceans) may also play a role in the cooling and fracturing process.

It’s often said the most famous example of columnar basalt is the Giant's Causeway in Ireland, but, as noted above, examples exist worldwide. For instance, while visiting my daughter’s family in Scotland, we saw spectacular cliffs of columnar basalt—complete with waterfalls—jutting out into the sea in a popular formation known as Kilt Rock.

Here in the United States, ... "

https://www.rockngem.com/geology-101-co ... tter121120
PinkDiamond
ISG Registered Gemologist

· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ ..·´ There are miracles left for you to do .... -:¦:- -:¦:-
-:¦:- ((¸¸.·´* It all begins inside of you. ;)
SwordfishMining

Re: GEOLOGY 101: Columnar Basalt

Post by SwordfishMining »

Thread tug of war. Good Morning Pink!
Check out Nick Zentners lectures on the Pacific Northwest. Here is the link to his columnar basalt video. 2minutes, formal lecture & lectures from home during the CCPV threat with his community.

#24 there is also number 6 and these are 1 1/2 hrs or so.
I'll jump over my shadow. https://www.virginvalleyopal.com"
Opals & more at my ESTY store https://swordfishmining.etsy.com"
rocks2dust

Re: GEOLOGY 101: Columnar Basalt

Post by rocks2dust »

Nick's videos are always interesting!

Lots of columnar basalt around here (the eastern half of Oregon and Washington was buried under layers of basalt up to a mile thick. Some on private land have been mining columns for use in landscaping, etc. The stuff is heavy, so retrieving and transport cost makes them on the spendy side.
r2d

surplus odds and ends that I have on ebid.net
· Xtra gemstones
· Xcess fossils, minerals and rough
· Everything else